Dyspraxia and Metabolic Disorders?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Dyspraxia and Metabolic Disorders?

Post by allesandro »

I've raised this issue before, but thought perhaps I'd raise it again. There is some preliminary research that indicates a connection between dyspraxia and metabolic disorders in the US. One theory is that this is due to poor physical coordination and dislike of of athletic activity. My nephew is dyspraxic and is enrolled ina very progressive school. His physical therapist says that he must exercise more and lose weight. I was wondering if anyone is aware either personally of a connection between the two or has read any British professional journal articles indicating a connection between the two.
kombatwombat
New member - welcome them!

Re: Dyspraxia and Metabolic Disorders?

Post by kombatwombat »

I have always guessed that there is a link between the two. I myself have always been very thin and never put on substantial weight even during periods when I have lived a very sedentary lifestyle while still eating plenty of calories. I have a friend who is also dyspraxic and has the opposite problem, whereby he struggles to keep the weight off. It has always appeared to me that there is something that is not quite right with our metabolisms and that it is probably linked to us both having dyspraxia
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Dyspraxia and Metabolic Disorders?

Post by allesandro »

American journal articles seem to link it to obesity and propensity toward type 2 diabetes. Ostensibly, because of poor muscle coordination, lack of athletic ability, and tendency to be overweight. There is very little research though here in the US, was wondering if anyone knows of any British professional journal articles on the subject.