Anger and Difficulty Letting go

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Anger and Difficulty Letting go

Post by allesandro »

I have difficulty with anger and letting go of things, particularly when talking on the phone with 'customer service' representatives, particularly when I'm dealing with incompetence and what I believe to be unfair or disrespectful behavior. When I encounter this behavior I raise my voice and become condescending which then gives these people the moral high ground to say OMG you're yelling at me! It therefore doesn't matter how bad my performance is because you have dared to raise your voice to me. They on the other hand can be as passive aggressive as the day is long, but it's OK because they didn't raise their voice. I then have difficulty letting go of the experience and play it over and over again in my head. It's exhausting. I don't know if anyone else struggles with this problem.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Anger and Difficulty Letting go

Post by Tom fod »

Definitely applies to me. I'm like a dog with a bone and am not one to let something go, especially if I feel like I'm being fobbed off.

It definitely pays to try to use charm with call centre operatives. Regrettably they don't always have the authority or knowledge to understand or deal quickly with and effectively resolve what you have called about. It can be really easy to become vexed by them but when that happens they pretty much have the power to end your call and you have to call back and hope you get someone else and that they haven't shared notes about 'nightmare callers'

On the other side of the coin I dread calls from certain people, but maybe some call me as they know that whilst it might be a difficult call I will usually be able to resolve their issue or tell them directly if what what they want is just not possible.

If I have not achieved all that I feel I should have or where I have not managed to adhere to the high standards I set for myself, it does plague me for a lot longer.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Anger and Difficulty Letting go

Post by allesandro »

Thanks. It's true, I also am like a dog with a bone when i feel I'm being disrespected or when my time is wasted, and there is no acknowledgment of that. But you are right, these people do have the power to end the phone call and one does end up with a 'reputation' that makes you about as famous as a tart at the high school prom. I too have no solution for this problem at the moment.