New Netflix program about neurodiversity

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

New Netflix program about neurodiversity

Post by allesandro »

Netflix has a new television program currently airing called 'special.' It centers around a young man who happens to be both neuroatypical as well as gay. There are six episodes dealing with his challenges in the workplace ranging from using a letter opener to tying shoe laces and the prejudices he deals with as well as his successes. This deserves 5 stars.
brutaldjc
Getting settled in

Re: New Netflix program about neurodiversity

Post by brutaldjc »

Ohhhh I shall watch this at some point hopefully :D
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

The main character actually has cerebral palsy, affecting muscle coordination, eye/hand coordination, short term memory, and difficulty with both workplace and social issues. Many of the issues addressed are the same as those that we dyspraxics go through, from tying shoe laces to putting together furniture, shuffling cards, etc. The only difference really is the issues he has with gait, which is a classic scissors-like cerebral palsy gait. I find the work related and social issues to be portrayed extremely well. It's painful but there is so much comic relief that it's both tolerable and entertaining.
I wish the show was about a character with dyspraxia, except that no one would have a clue as to what that is.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The BBC SCI FI drama Dr Who has, in its' most recent season introduced a Dyspraxia character named Ryan.

Someone on the crew has a relative with the condition so wanted to feature it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I only saw the one episode where Ryan was unable to learn to ride a bike. I didn't realize that he was an ongoing character.
JuliusRowe
New member - welcome them!

Post by JuliusRowe »

I didn't like it
darklozz

Post by darklozz »

Oh, I caught 'Special' on Netflix! Such a refreshing show, seriously. Following the journey of a young guy navigating neurodiversity and being gay - it's eye-opening. The workplace struggles and everyday victories feel so real. Definitely a 5-star gem in my book! Though I get paid to watch movies on Netflix, I would watch that one again for free. I can't wait to hear what others think!
BernardBruce

Post by BernardBruce »

Can you recommend any other TV shows?
RaelynnRamirez

Post by RaelynnRamirez »

I absolutely loved 'Special' on Netflix! It's such a heartwarming and eye-opening show. Ryan's journey is both relatable and inspiring. The way it tackles neurodiversity and LGBTQ+ issues is so important.

Illegal URL removed by Admin
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Illegal URL removed and posters setails shared with Saudi Authorities for extradition request and appropriate punishment by Saudi Courts