Welcome!

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks for introducing yourself and explaining so well, Dyspraxic Villa Fan, the contradictions make sense to me.

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello. I'm from Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. I've always known that I was different. Always! But I could never put my finger on it. I begged for a referral when I was 20 and said I think I have attention deficit. I got the referral, but no diagnosis.

I finally realised about a year ago, perhaps, that it's probably dyspraxia. I can't seem to be able to think straight a lot of the time, I struggle to follow instructions (especially for physical tasks), i get lost constantly, I lose things, it can take me a long time to grasp certain concepts, I'm clumsy... I've never struggled with find or gross motor skills, which I think could be a stumbling block if I approach the GP.

I start my paramedic course next month and I'm stressing about it a lot. I'm good at writing essays and generally good at exams, but I'm worried about picking up concepts in the classroom and about learnjng new physical tasks. I already work on the frontline, so I feel capable, but I am very worried about how I'll cope with some aspects of this up-skilling.

I'd like a diagnosis ideally so that I can perhaps approach management with requests for support (although, realistically, what could they do for me? I'm not sure!), but I don't really want to approach my GP and I don't think I can afford to pay for an assessment.

Any advice? Is there a cheap option?

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Welcome Helenjohanna - I guess you are pretty comptetent to get a training course like that - possibly the college will have student support service - many do to help sort out how best to manage the course for folks with disabilities.

Now we have equal Opportunities/Rights legislation Service Providers have an absolute duty to pay special attention to the needs of folk with disabilities.

If you will be an employee whilst training - maybe the umion can support - even if you are a prospective employee = many unions allow traing memebers.

You might find information on the Dyspraxia Foundation website that helps - being it is dyspraxia Awareness week they have a website event tonight that may be of interest - I have posted about it elsewhere

Hopefully this link will help you find it if you are interested

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=6&t=6359

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 pm
Welcome Helenjohanna - I guess you are pretty comptetent to get a training course like that - possibly the college will have student support service - many do to help sort out how best to manage the course for folks with disabilities.

Now we have equal Opportunities/Rights legislation Service Providers have an absolute duty to pay special attention to the needs of folk with disabilities.

If you will be an employee whilst training - maybe the umion can support - even if you are a prospective employee = many unions allow traing memebers.

You might find information on the Dyspraxia Foundation website that helps - being it is dyspraxia Awareness week they have a website event tonight that may be of interest - I have posted about it elsewhere

Hopefully this link will help you find it if you are interested

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=6&t=6359
Thank you for this. I work for the London Ambulance Service and I've been given a place on their in-house course. I'm really keen to get through it and progress in my career, but I know that I'm going to find some of it hard. I'm all over the place when I do practical classroom training and I think much of this course will be practical! I will be learning lots of new skills.

I will check out that event - thank you.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Good - there will be nothing lost by speaking to the union, it must be worth being a member in such an occupation anyway.
Last edited by Andrew_S_Hatton on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm
Good - there will be nothing lost by speaking to the union, it must be worth being a memeber in such an occupation anyway.
I'm with Unison already, but I think I will need a diagnosis in order to ask for any special provision. I think my main concern is looking stupid in class. I always mess up and then end up hating myself. I know that sounds dramatic, but my annoying brain affects my self esteem a lot.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:09 pm

No - it sounds very familiar - exactly the sort of catastrophising I still do at times and I realised I have DCD almost 20 years ago.

Unison are a big Union and they will have folk who understand hidden disabilities and the legal position of an employer - I hope you seek them out - even if it is to get suggestions of where else you might get specialist support - I got it from my Union and that was in the early days of "reasonable adjustments". Not that, I got any BUT my situation and job was very different.

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:09 pm
No - it sounds very familiar - exactly the sort of catastrophising I still do at times and I realised I have DCD almost 20 years ago.

Unison are a big Union and they will have folk who understand hidden disabilities and the legal position of an employer - I hope you seek them out - even if it is to get suggestions of where else you might get specialist support - I got it from my Union and that was in the early days of "reasonable adjustments". Not that, I got any BUT my situation and job was very different.
Okay, thank you :-)

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Helenjohanna wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 pm
Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm
Good - there will be nothing lost by speaking to the union, it must be worth being a memeber in such an occupation anyway.
I'm with Unison already, but I think I will need a diagnosis in order to ask for any special provision. I think my main concern is looking stupid in class. I always mess up and then end up hating myself. I know that sounds dramatic, but my annoying brain affects my self esteem a lot.
THIS - from the GMB Umion might be helpful - please let us know - I have not read it

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=9&t=6360

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm
Helenjohanna wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 pm
Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm
Good - there will be nothing lost by speaking to the union, it must be worth being a memeber in such an occupation anyway.
I'm with Unison already, but I think I will need a diagnosis in order to ask for any special provision. I think my main concern is looking stupid in class. I always mess up and then end up hating myself. I know that sounds dramatic, but my annoying brain affects my self esteem a lot.
THIS - from the GMB Umion might be helpful - please let us know - I have not read it

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=9&t=6360
Thank you. I read some of that earlier, actually. I was really pleased that it drew attention to The cognitive aspects of the condition.

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Guys, I bit the bullet and approached my union rep for advice. She said that my employer will refer me for assessment and pay for that assessment! And she said it won't have a detrimental effect on my career.

Wow.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 pm

I hoped that would happen and now if it does not work out properly, you will have the union on your side.

I suggest consider keeping a diary, with exactly who says what, when and the circumstances, and if you do, keep it up to date.

Later it might help others, by sharing the process.

Thanks for telling us, I recall being scared of being found out.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Helenjohanna wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:01 pm
Guys, I bit the bullet and approached my union rep for advice. She said that my employer will refer me for assessment and pay for that assessment! And she said it won't have a detrimental effect on my career.

Wow.
Now within a few minutes there is another report exactly the same!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4036489 ... 22R8%22%7D

may need to scroll down and sign in to the facebook Group.

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Welcome!

Post by Helenjohanna » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am

Sigh.

Hopes were raised yesterday, then dashed today. The same lady emailed again, this time to say that she thinks the employer will only refer and pay for a dyslexia assessment.

Back to the £800 fee issue.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Maldon District, Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome!

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Oh.. dear but equal rights at work seems to suggest it should not cost a person to claim their rights, as the non disabled do not face a charge simply for working - or Iam I getting this wrong?

Post Reply