Welcome!

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Welcome!

Post by Daniel »

Welcome to the brand new Dyspraxic Adults forum. This section of the forum is for chat and discussion about anything to do with dyspraxia. There are also sections for discussion of particular areas of life with dyspraxia, including: Work, Studying, Relationships, Day-to-day living, Transport and Getting help & assessment.

If you've just arrived here perhaps you'd like to make a post to the Introductions section, and tell us a little about yourself.

Visit the Lounge if you'd like to chat or discuss anything that's not to do with dyspraxia.

Enjoy the forum!

Daniel
(Site Admin)
admin@dyspraxicadults.org.uk
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

thanks for the warm welcome!

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
ALEX2525
New member - welcome them!

Re: Welcome!

Post by ALEX2525 »

Thank u it look like I could meet other people with dyspraxia like my self so i don't think am the odd one out.
djgard27
Getting settled in

Post by djgard27 »

Im hoping to meet people other dyspraxic people aswell!
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Blow's dut of and a hi to my fellow ND's . Diagnosed in 2008 , and been having lots of fun ever since (im now 35)
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.

I love this quote from one of the posters earlier....says it all
morty

Post by morty »

I just discovered this website. My experience is interesting. I became interested in music by playing trombone, which is a pretty ideal instrument for a dyspractic. Gross motor skills and all that. Learned piano in music school, but never got any facility. Fell into a job where I was principally playing piano. I have extreme right-handedness and huge difficulty turning the stupid pages of the music. So I memorize and improvise. I'm an Aspie, too, and that makes me an ideal accompanist, because the input from the other musicians is juat as important to me as my output. I HAVE to listen to it. All the other stuff: can't tie shoelaces or neckties, can't swim or dance, drop things, stumble over shadows on the pavement. It's really rather entertaining to me and my wife, who is awesomely coordinated. I'm glad to find a forum for other clumsies. Hello, everybody!
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Hello there. l learned the piano for years as well. Like you I had terrible trouble with my left hand....couldn't remember it was there and that it was supposed to be doing something. I had to learn the music by heart because I can't read music, I have a good ear- was a good trad. musician. It might as well have been not there at all for all the good it was. I asked 2 different piano teachers if they'd record the music for me so that I could hear what it should sound like....they went mental! I told them that either they could record the music so I could hear it or that I'd make a balls of the exam....they went for the second option #-o !
tom1293

Post by tom1293 »

hi i'm tom. for me music is an important part of our life.. we can express our feelings through music,. good bless.
RaviMover

Post by RaviMover »

tom1293 wrote:hi i'm tom. for me music is an important part of our life.. we can express our feelings through music,. good bless.

I m also crazy for music....
Andrewmorris27

Post by Andrewmorris27 »

Hi everyone,
I'm Andrew, 27 from Lancashire, realtively knew diagnosis of dyspraxia (November 2011) by an educational pyschologist and new to the forum so thought I would say hi! \:D/
still getting over the initial shock of a diagnosis and the complete lack of support and / or guidance offered by anyone and student finance are just a joke...

hope to speak to people more as posts fly around and I get more involved
Rufus153

Post by Rufus153 »

Hi,
Im Ruth, Im 31 and have had dyspraxia all of my life. I was diagnosed when i was a kid although i dont know what age i was as nothing was done after the diagnosis, i guess they didnt know alot about it back then. It was really bad when i was a kid, if i picked something up, i dropped it. My mum stopped me picking any plates or bowls up in the end as i broke every single one and they couldnt afford to keep buying new stuff. As i got older, the clumsiness seemed to get better and i though i had just grown out of it. I never realised that all the other problems i had were linked aswell. Ie my school work etc. I was diagnosed with dyslexia when i was 21 but it was too late for my schooling by then as i had already screwed it up royally and been told that i was stupid and lazy by all of my teachers on a number of occasions.
A year ago i had a baby, and a few months after that i noticed that i kept falling over alot. I have broken various bones in these falls, hit my head more times than i can count including a time when i hit it so hard on a concrete path that i gave myself whip lash. Im now too scared to carry my 1 year old son, and can honestly say i fear for my life alot of the time. I cant do up buttons and im always dropping hot tea all over me and my friends sofas! I feel like i have hit an all time low and dont really know where i go from here. I am not positive about it at all, because it is not just 'Clumsiness' and its not just a few stumbles here and there. There needs to be more help for this. [-o<
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Ruth
Welcome to the forums (or should that be fora?) Must admit that sounds truly frightening and I'm guessing that quite probably worrying about it makes it worse? Are you getting enough sleep/rest? (Silly question, you have a one yr old to look after, but I'm a bloke 8-) A combination of the being tired and other worries most probably isn't helping. What is your GP/health visitor like? Might they be worth speaking to?

I always find I'm at greatest danger to myself when walking if my mind wanders away too far from looking at the ground in front of me/where I'm going.

Best regards and hope this is of some help?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Rufus153

Post by Rufus153 »

[/quote][quote="Tom fod"]"Hi Ruth
Welcome to the forums (or should that be fora?) Must admit that sounds truly frightening and I'm guessing that quite probably worrying about it makes it worse? Are you getting enough sleep/rest? (Silly question, you have a one yr old to look after, but I'm a bloke 8-) A combination of the being tired and other worries most probably isn't helping. What is your GP/health visitor like? Might they be worth speaking to?

I always find I'm at greatest danger to myself when walking if my mind wanders away too far from looking at the ground in front of me/where I'm going."

Hi, Mr Dr is actually quite supportive, They think it is to do with being tired etc but they dont know if it will get better again or if its a permenant turn for the worst.
I hav an appointment with him today, ive already been to the surgery once today as i got the time wrong! Typical! I never seem to be able to get numbers correct, i even wrote the time down this time, but still managed to get it wrong! :rolleyes:
I have to admit, if im not 100% focused on walking, that does seem to be when i have my falls, Its really hard though to be 100% focused on walking at all times! Especially with a baby! :)
Saphyra
Getting settled in

Post by Saphyra »

Hi all!

Nice to chat with people who have similar problems :)

I kind of felt odd all my life. My parents told me that I was diagnosed with under 4 already as I didn't learn to walk on my own. Then I couldn't ride a bicycle and had many accidents. My parents thought it would be better if they didn't tell me as they though that I would feel like being different and it would hold up my development. But after all, I always wondered what is wrong with me and when I had the worst grade in sports while doing my A-level, my mother finally told me that she had problems with me since I was a baby and that it is due to some kind of dyspraxia. I somehow wished I would have known earlier as I always wondered what is wrong with me.. I imagined the worst things that I could have and suffered some great insecurity. Especially in primary school, I was an outsider and my performance with other subjects was also very bad. My self-confidence is affected by this still today although I try to counter it and use strategies to be more confident.
When I came into secondary school it got better and I discovered that I am quite good at languages and also maths. I could remember any word written and lot of factual information, including numbers. This got me out of my misery as I soon realized that I can use these patterns somehow to organize everything in a kind of way that would appeal to me.. However, I still have problems with flexible organization, social skills and of course sports and coordination and multitasking.. When I have too much work or an unexpected request I am totally confused and have to follow my special plan to get out of it.. Hiking with my friends is always difficult as they would need to look after me as one would have to look after a child. These things sometimes bring up my self-defeating mechanisms I have created over the years and I just cannot get rid of them..