Acquired dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Acquired dyspraxia

Post by firemonkey »

Just had someone suggest I might have acquired dyspraxia.

acquired dyspraxia
dyspraxia manifested as the loss of a previously acquired ability to perform coordinated movements. It usually follows or
is associated with brain injury or stroke.

developmental dyspraxia
dyspraxia present since birth and manifested during an early developmental age or phase as difficulty in performing coordinated movements.

https://dictionary.apa.org/acquired-dyspraxia

There's been no brain injury or stroke that I'm aware of . Been this way as far back as I can remember . Like a lot of people from an older generation it was not picked up on .

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Acquired dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Who was the person and what were their qualifications and reasoning for suggesting acquired dyspraxia?

In theory effects indicative of 'acquired dyspraxia' might also be borne of any illness or trauma that interferes with brain functioning/nervous system functioning though in many cases it might than be given a different label.

Based on what I can recall of your previous posts you've had difficulties all your life so based on that I'd be more inclined to say developmental.

Caveat:I am not a medical professional and am working from a very limited knowledge base.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

The person,on Reddit,doesn't know me from Adam. He was basing it on the following that I'd posted .
Saw the pdoc Wednesday afternoon. It was the first time he had seen me. He did a thorough assessment.Past history. Past medication. Symptoms . Family background. My stepdaughter was there with me. She said her piece re what she has noticed about me. He says that paranoid personality disorder doesn’t fit . He reckons that a combination of asd and schizophrenia fits best. I mentioned NVLD,that I thought it fitted better, but from his response asking what that was I sensed he knew nothing about that He also said I’m quite dyspraxic(after test involving my fingers which I can't remember to describe fully). Stepdaughter had said I'm the clumsiest person she has known. He’s making a referral for an ASD assessment. He noticed I had a tremor which he said was a side effect(of the antipsychotic)
I certainly had problems at the age of 5-6 which my first school picked up on. I had tests for the S word(now called cerebral palsy) at Great Ormond street. This was in the early 60s. They were negative. Nor sure there was much info about dyspraxia or it's named forerunner back then even amongst professionals. Certainly the negative on CP shut down all exploration of what the problem might be .

When asked about my early years my father has said I was poorly coordinated .
I was at boarding school from 8-18. Letters from my prep school headmaster to my public school headmaster again described me as poorly coordinated and bad at drawing and writing. Public school reports described me as disorganised and messy(executive functioning difficulties?). Didn't learn to ride a bike till I was nearly 14. Was bad at sports. Usually being the last picked for a side at team sports.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Tim

I was also usually one of the last to be picked for team games too but If they’d needed a quiz team . . . Actually I was a fish out of water with some of the questions at quiz I went to last night.

I suspect after ruling out CP and other potential causes all Great Ormond St Drs might have had left was a ‘Clumsy Child Syndrome’ label. It was not until 1988 that Dyspraxia Foundation was founded.

All the best in your continuing quest for answers. Maybe they try to assign ASD since in theory it wd attract better access to help and support?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

acquired dyspraxia is extremely rare according to the literature. Have you had a traumatic brain injury or cerebral vascular accident?
shikhakim
New member - welcome them!

Post by shikhakim »

I've recently been diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I feel your pain.
toriaacres

Post by toriaacres »

I've recently been diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I feel your pain.
juliasiren

Post by juliasiren »

I'm so sorry to hear about your dyspraxia. It sounds like you've been struggling with it for a long time. I understand how difficult it can be to navigate a new diagnosis. My friend went through the same thing.
Still, it's great that you're looking into it and finding ways to better understand what's happening. And speaking of finding help, have you heard of the [Advertising link removed by admin] It's a great resource that could help you save money on your medications. I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you all the best on your journey!
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I think it was mid 80's that they started picking up on Dyspraxia, I was known by my schools for being a lazy/clumsy child, but my medical report in October 86 was that I had Dyspraxic Tendancies.

but everything was present from severe verbal dyspraxia, to extremely slow hand writing speed, and the more I went through school the more the hand writing speed was present, but the verbal dyspraxia reduced a little the more I was speaking, as in not getting so many tongue twister words wrong, or not getting into a fluster over what I am going to say. but still slow speech due to the condition.