metabolic disorders

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

metabolic disorders

Post by allesandro »

I have read studies on the apparent association between dyspraxia and metabolic disorders stating that the evidence demonstrates that most children with dyspraxia are born with a metabolic disorder and a tendency toward obesity and diabetes Type 2. I was an obese child and have fought obesity all of my life. I worked out with weights sporadically from age 20 until my mid-forties. Shortly thereafter I gained about 25lbs. and became diabetic. Whenever I stopped working out, my doctor would tell me my three month average blood sugar was high and would routinely test my blood glucose on office visits. On one such occasion, I had resumed my work-outs, dieted and lost fat and picked up a great deal of muscle weight as I usually would when I lifted weights. I changed doctors, told him about the sporadic increases in blood sugar and he asked who my previous doctor was and when I used the pronoun 'she', he just rolled his eyes and said,"nonsense." I see now that this was the result of my dyspraxia and was wondering if anyone else had issues with weight, metabolic disorders, and diabetes.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Re: metabolic disorders

Post by Helenjohanna »

That's interesting. I'm the opposite - my blood sugar drops to below normal if I don't keep eating!

Is there definitely a correlation, or could this be two separate problems?
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I have been obese all my life and in my case it is an addiction - not the obesity but compulsive eating - it is one of a number of addictions I am prone to.

"fighting " addiction does not work for me - surrender does - but I have to keep doing it.

The folks who discovered what came to be called the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous seem to have developed a programme that works for folks with many different addictions.

https://oa.org/newcomers/how-do-i-start ... overeater/
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I think it is an addiction for me as well. It was easier to deal with when I was young and able to push myself to lift weights. I was also on Adderall for ADD back then and that always lit a fire under my butt. Now I can't tolerate Adderall anymore, and I am back to my usual sedentary self; fighting the battle of the bulge.
The literature on metabolic disorders and dyspraxia seems scant, and of course limited to children.
theronortego
New member - welcome them!

Post by theronortego »

I was fortunate that I was born healthy without any metabolic disorders. Now I know people who have metabolic disorders and tend to be obese. I understand how difficult it is for them because they are constantly gaining weight. I always advise such people to exercise, go to the gym, run more, and have a result. Nowadays, it's rare to find a person who is in standard physical shape. You can meet fat people or just skinny people. But for thin people, it is much easier to put on weight, but again, it all depends on a person's genetics. If you use proven tools and safe drugs [url removed by admin and posters details passed to Law Enforcement for investigation and enforcement], the effect will occur much faster, and the result will be much better. The main thing is to follow a special diet, proper nutrition, and moderate training when you notice a real weight gain.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reason: Advertising drugs/medicines without prior consent or proof of legitimacy or efficacy. Permanently BANNED
bushjeann

Post by bushjeann »

I had a similar situation, and the tactics of treatment of metabolic disorders depend on the complexity and causes of the pathology. The type of diet depends on the nature of the diseases. In most cases, fractional meals are recommended: in small portions, every 2-3 hours. Also exclude fried, pickled, salty, spicy, fatty foods. You may need to limit carbohydrates and animal fats. And what would be easier to endure all this, I can advise spacecoastdaily.com, which helped me like nothing else.
Last edited by bushjeann on Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willisidi

Post by willisidi »

Does anyone know that alcohol can allegedly cause diabetes? Is it so?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

willisidi wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:40 am Does anyone know that alcohol can allegedly cause diabetes? Is it so?
This is an irrelevant question in a Dyspraxia group. Please ask a medical professional
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Izamarfeat

Post by Izamarfeat »

Alcohol, in general, becomes the cause of many diseases if you are addicted to alcohol. I started drinking beer with friends from my youth, then cocktails in bars, and it got to the point that it didn't matter to me what and with whom to drink. The realization of the problem came when I was in the hospital due to a sharp drop in sugar levels. A little more, and I would have fallen into a diabetic coma. Then I realized that something had to be done about it and started looking for support on the Internet. I found a website theluckiestclub.com where I met people whose health was also undermined by alcohol. Now we are all fighting addiction together and helping each other.