About myself

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryann64
New member - welcome them!

About myself

Post by ryann64 »

Hi everyone,
My name is Ryan and I'm a dyspraxic musician from Ireland.
I'm 21 years old and have just finished my degree in Media Production Management.
I have always been quiet about my Dyspraxia, I couldn't describe Dyspraxia effectively enough to people so I just thought my best option was to not mention it.

At the start of my final academic year (last September) I was talking to a friend who had Dyspraxia and I thought since it was time to put all my focus on my Dyspraxia. I had a big media project due so I decided to do an audio doc on Dyspraxia which you can find here: https://soundcloud.com/ryan-n-43582691 ... cumentary
Since this, I have been involved in helping out Dyspraxia/DCD Ireland and the people I meet every day are driving me to keep pushing my own Dyspraxia experiences out there.

I also blog on the Dyspraxia & Life Magazine where I hope people who read my experience can gain knowledge for their Dyspraxia Journey.
One issue I find is the number of adults in later stages of their lives who only find out about Dyspraxia and get diagnosed at later stages. I have had family members from as young as my cousin's children to as old as my Granddad's brothers (great uncles if you will) who have listened to my documentary and have told me they are being assessed as well.

I know this is a very long story but I just thought I would highlight why I'm here and I Dyspraxia is such a big part of my life not just through myself but through my family and the amazing people I have met through Dyspraxia Ireland.
Thanks for reading,
Ryan
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: About myself

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Welcome and thanks for what you have been doing.
ryann64
New member - welcome them!

Post by ryann64 »

Thanks Andrew!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Ryan and welcome

Agree it's a a puzzle to explain to people and we're all affected and cope to varying degrees.

I sometimes like to characterise my dyspraxia as a pesky mischievious little goblin. Most of the time I manage to defy and outwit him with good humour,. Other times the little blighter manages to wrongfoot me and I want to throttle him or one of his minions!

Feel free to write as much as you want/need to to make your points and nice to have a new member.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)