Long-Term Memory

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim1983
Getting settled in

Long-Term Memory

Post by Jim1983 »

Does anyone else find that their long-term memory is generally better than that of those they know? Just been thinking about this as a really clear example appeared yesterday.
The telly was on, showing the Sci-Fi movie 'In Time' with Justin Timberlake and Cillian Murphy. My wife then turns to me and asks.

"Have you seen this movie?"
"Yes, so have you."
"Are you sure? I don't think so."
"We saw it together at the cinema, it was one of our first dates."
"No, I'm sure I haven't seen it, perhaps it was a date with someone else, check the release date."

So, I check the release date on IMDB, and of course it's a couple of weeks after we first started dating. She starts to believe me when I say that we saw it together and asks what the plot is. I was then able to recall pretty much the entire plot (at least all of the key points, decisions and final outcome), yet she was still unable to recall watching the film at all. Yet, I can clearly remember walking into the cinema with her and watching the film. I just thought this was an interesting illustration as it was a film that we both watched only once and on the exact same day seven years ago, and I could remember it vividly, but she could not remember a single detail. I have noticed this before with other friends as well, who always find it strange given that I can't usually remember where I put my phone down five minutes earlier.

I also had a slight epiphany over something else similarly related. I usually have this uncanny ability (usually, not always) to predict what is going to happen later in a film after watching the first few scenes. Which always baffles my wife/friends, then it occurred to me that this was perhaps long-term memory related, in that because I can remember the majority of the plot points from films that I have seen I can use them to predict future events in films based on the fact that writers are often unoriginal/lazy and rely a lot on cliches, tropes and pastiche.

Thinking on this, perhaps more effort should be made to make people aware of not only the challenges dyspraxics face, but also the things that we are often predisposed to be good at. An interesting comparison would be how it has been previously noted that those with dyslexia often have very high levels of spatial intelligence, which I have seen demonstrated in one dyslexic friend, (who I've seen riding a motorbike at twice the speed limit, with his hands out like he was on the bow of the titanic, while weaving in and out of traffic on the A12 steering using nothing but weight distribution...he's a showoff, lol), (I know that may not be the case when there is crossover with dyspraxia), but it is interesting how when one area of the brain is in deficit another area operates at an above average level.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Re: Long-Term Memory

Post by Helenjohanna »

Sorry, I haven't read your whole comment yet, but I would say yes for me. I recall entire conversations from my childhood. I'm 39 now...
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I have also only scanned the message.

There are reasons why things from earlier can be better remembered, because they are revisited and fixed more securely and accessibly in our minds.

For me I think difficulties are with working memory, rather than long or short memory.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

My working memory is virtually useless. I know that's s bad word to use.
MrLiquorish
Getting settled in

Post by MrLiquorish »

YES!

Interesting you should comment on this.

I also feel as though I can recall quite a lot of details from long term memory, and certainly have lots of memories of being a young child. I also ruminate on these memories quite a lot too, but that's not necessarily related to Dyspraxia.

I never thought I had a problem with short term memory previously, but in recent years I'm starting to think I do. I'll often not remember locking the door as I rush out the house, but I have done after I go back to check.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I can relate completely. My family often telephones me with the expectation that I should be able to remember anything that happened in the family no matter how long ago it happened. They call me "elephant brain." We have a family game we sometimes play that involves things that happened many years ago,and what places looked like, then and now. I'm in my 60"s, so we're talking about things that happened at least 40 years ago, and how our summer home was decorated when we sold it 50 yrs. ago. I never lose.
hellfire
New member - welcome them!

Post by hellfire »

I CAN REMBER THINGS CLEARLY FROM WHEN I WAS 2 CLEARLY BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHAT YOU SAID 5 SECONDS GOD
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

hellfire wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:04 am I CAN REMEMBER THINGS CLEARLY FROM WHEN I WAS 2 CLEARLY BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHAT YOU SAID 5 SECONDS AGO (changed)
Yes - same with me - learning to accept that calmly is a lifelong challenge for me.