Can i have dyspraxia ?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

rmortenen84
New member - welcome them!

Can i have dyspraxia ?

Post by rmortenen84 »

Sorry for the bad english (Google translate)

I'm from Denmark I'm 34 years old and had as a child big problems with my motor skills where I fell over my own feet had trouble writing (holding a pencil) I was very very clumsy and had a bad memory and forgot things constantly in my school time. I have never been diagnosed with dyspraxia as there was not much focus on it when I was a child. I went a lot to physioterepauet as a child because of my difficulties.

Today, I still have a number of problems bu
t more cognitive memory, overview, structuring, and receiving messages, etc. - I took a cognitive test that showed some weaknesses of a neuro pyscologist. The only motor problems I have left is still having trouble keeping a pencil and being very rough motorily.

My question is ? - Could this be dyspraxia despite I do not have the big motor difficulties as an adult?

I read the following:

"The second is that dyspraxia in adulthood is characterised chiefly by poor motor coordination. This is also often not the case. Adults with dyspraxia often have improved their motor coordination skills over the years, and their chief difficulties in education and employment are more likely to be related to the cognitive aspects of dyspraxia, such as difficulty with sequencing and structuring information, organisational skills, time-keeping, and sometimes social skills."

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4001144/)

This fits me very well
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Can i have dyspraxia ?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I think it is possible you might have Dyspraxi or Dyspraxic tendencies. While it is not something you grow out of we do develop coping strategies which can make it difficult yo identify or confirm.

The other thing to remember is not everyone with is the same. There can be a lot of variance in how and to what level people are affected.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Hi. I am also not diagnosed, but I think I am dyspraxic. I struggle with the cognitive side of things mainly. I am extremely clumsy, but I have never had trouble with sports or writing. I think more emphasis needs to be put on that because it seems to be defined by most as s physical problem.
Jim1983
Getting settled in

Post by Jim1983 »

Hi Helen,
Yes perhaps, I often think the new name DCD (Developmental Coordination Disorder) is not very helpful as it boxes in people's thinking to believe that it's something that only effects physical aspects such as coordination. Whereas dyspraxia comes from Greek, meaning 'difficulty doing', seems more apt, but could nonetheless be improved upon.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I've just joined a Facebook group and a lot of people say that their difficulties are mostly with the cognitive aspects of the disorder.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Yes that has always been my experience, I got hardened to spilling and tripping when I was a child over fifty years ago. 69 now and still struggling.