Dancing

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

DyspraxicPhilip
New member - welcome them!

Dancing

Post by DyspraxicPhilip »

Hey! I don’t know if any dyspraxic relates to this. I do performing arts for a living and i’m currently at a musical theatre class. When we have to dance, no girls picked me. We have about 8 boys and 18 girls. We had new boys start tonight and they picked them over me. Along with girls picking girls. I just feel left out, usually one of the staff people have to dance with me. and my confidence/anxiety starts playing up because of this. I know this seems stupid but it makes me feel like I did something wrong.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dancing

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I can relate to this as I would also feel left out. Dancing has never been my thing and whilst I hate it with a passion being left out like this still hurts..

Would you say it stems from a ack of confidece in your dancing? Could some extra time pre learning and practising the steps so you aren't/don't feel as awkward help?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim1983
Getting settled in

Post by Jim1983 »

I know it feels counter-intuitive (I hate dancing due to recollections of similar issues) but try and take the lead, approach one of the girls to dance with, instead of waiting to be approached. Often I think that dyspraxics odd body language makes us hard to read and therefore makes people nervous to approach us. Making people aware of the condition can help if phrased well, something like "Apologies if my body language is sometimes hard to read, I have dyspraxia, so my body betrays me from time to time" (make light of it, as it puts people more at ease), tell people individually if it's easier. You could even ask someone in advance to dance with you. People are often understanding if fully informed.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Meeting others.

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

That is an excellent idea Jim 1983 I hope it reaches a wider readership than hear, perhaps via Pete Guest's new Dyspraxia and Life magazine, meanwhile, thank you for posting.
JoJo
New member - welcome them!

Post by JoJo »

Hello there,

I went to drama school and had to do remedial movement (oh the misery).

We got to do contact improvisation and five rythums. Amazing! As I accidentally fell over yet again, it just turned into the rythum of the piece. It worked I learnt to master and understand what my body's movement capability was and it was different to other people's. In a career in performance those differences need to be embraced.

I love dancing, what I discovered is that I had to do it my way and develop those physical skills in a way that facilitated that physical learning rather than just making me feel like poo (like the nasty ballet classes).

Keep dancing and do your special thing x
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Reminds me of physical education class. I have never been able to perform tasks that require coordinated movement and steps. When I see people on TV doing it, I am in awe of it but also feel sad that I know I would never be able to pick up something like that.