At what age did you learn to swim , or can't you swim?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Under 5
11%
5-9
56%
10-14
22%
15-18
No votes
19+
No votes
Never learnt
11%

Total votes: 9

firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:13 pm

At what age did you learn to swim , or can't you swim? Although described as poorly coordinated I first learnt to swim at the beach at Pataya when I was 6. I mainly swim slow breaststroke only, very occasionally doing front crawl. I swim with my head above water. I don't like swimming underwater.

Lucy
Getting settled in

Re: At what age did you learn to swim , or can't you swim?

Post by Lucy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Around age 9 or 10, I think. Possibly I could swim a little bit at a younger age, not sure. Definitely couldn't swim out past where my toes could touch the floor safely until age 10/11. Still a very slow swimmer!

Mr. Higgles
New member - welcome them!

Post by Mr. Higgles » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:36 pm

I barley swim, basically just flailing my arms around to stay alfloat :/ I just found this board, idk if I even have dispraxia but it really seems so. I’ve always wonder what was wrong with me and why I struggled with things. Been researching and this is the only thing that seems to actually make sense!

Henry
New member - welcome them!

Post by Henry » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 am

keeps your pulse up yet takes a portion of the effect worry off your body, fabricates perseverance, muscle quality and cardiovascular wellness, keeps up a solid weight, sound heart and lungs, tones muscles and assembles quality...
Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 am

I can’t swim.

For me, swimming is one of the few things which I’ve never been able to successfully learn to do. Oh, I can flail my arms and legs around in a vague approximation of swimming but after a couple of strokes my swimming has magically switched to unintentional scuba diving and/or drowning #-o

I’ve never been able to physically comprehend the art of keeping afloat and honestly my head dipping below the water is a phobia of mine which I have no drive to conquer. I’m quite content to paddle and splash about.

It’s odd. Because other things, like riding a bike, driving a car... being relatively good at go karting etc are things that I took to quite well.
Jim is back ... Jim is J i m and J i m is Jim.

Confused? I'd be.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:15 pm

I was about 8 or 9 and enjoyed a lot of swimming in the past>

I could never quite coordinate the strokes where legs and arms need to sychronise apart from front & back crawl.

So I was never going to win any races doing breastroke or butterfly or dolphin butterfly or even sidestroke - which is about the most graceful to swim even though it does not look very good.

I have never seen it demonstrated but I found a video online - I only watched the first bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heKKhNBHp98