Muscle issue

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

GoodBoy
New member - welcome them!

Muscle issue

Post by GoodBoy »

Hi!
Im new here, and i have strong feeling that i have dyspraxia, i really have weak muscles in my body, and my walking posture is not good, anyone has same issue and going to gym will take improve my situtation?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Muscle issue

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Please consult your GP or other medical professional, for specific advice and/or reassurance.

Exercise is beneficial for anyone as long as you sensible about it. A good Gym should offer an induction with a health questionnaire and advice on using the equipment safely.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I couldn't advise anyone else about this; I could only give account of my own personal experience. I had always been sedentary, and had always had poor posture and coordination; still do. However, when I was in my twenties, a gym opened up around the corner from me. Long story short, I eventually learned how to lift weights. My body responded quickly and dramatically because my muscles were so not accustomed to being stressed that way. It really boosted my confidence. In hindsight, I was fairly reckless--didn't know what I was doing. I was lucky to have escaped without any injuries. I know many people who injured themselves permanently because they didn't know what they were doing. I would suggest seeing your GP first, and then a physical therapist who can give you a set of exercises to do.
TammyEngland
New member - welcome them!

Post by TammyEngland »

It seems to me that it is best to ask such questions not from ordinary people, but at a doctor's appointment, who will definitely give you the right answer.
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

Gym certainly isn't a bad idea, but I would go one further and say more important than Gym is some kid of trainer or physiotherapist or even, martial arts instructor. Basically, someone who will guide you on "a" system of posture and movement. It doesn't matter what one, be it cross fit, judo, taichi, yoga, kickboxing, contemporary dance.
Just "a" posture and movement system rather than the hodgepodge-bad-habit-laden mess we as dyspraxics can get ourselves into by the time we reach adulthood.

I just realize today that I cascade down stairs in a way that makes me look like someone trying to trip and kill themselves.

Also I'm a big guy and for my size I have terrible muscle mass.