I get more upset about having hypochondroplasia more than others?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

MusicL22
Getting settled in

I get more upset about having hypochondroplasia more than others?

Post by MusicL22 »

I have hypocondraplasia and I have always been told either in a supportive or hostile manner "not to let it bother me" Even when I get discriminated,taunted, named called all the kind of stuff you can image for a woman of 4ft 6inch. I will get the moaning out of the way before the dyspraxic part.

So other people with the condition don't let it bother them and you can tell they don't care. Whereas with me I feel more fed up about everything that comes with looking the way I do. I seem to get more embarrassed when people feel the need to shout at me or start pointing it out and asking me or other people " why is that woman so small?" This comes from adults and children obviously. Particularly when I'm by myself. I also know when people are taking the mick out of me as I seem to spot it almost everytime like being hypersensitive to every remark or gesture. This can make me (although I'm right) more wary of people and whats going on around me all the time.

Other people with the condition don't seem to have an outburst or retaliation or get all hot and embarrassed. I have been known to shout back only to get laughed at more. I'm wondering how many dyspraxic people here have been known to get temperamental and even get into fights with others in similar circumstance? I find I am quite tense and "bricking it" in these situations. Of course people take it as "you are attention seeking" attention seeking this and that like your not aloud to complain. Yes people wine and moan but it seems people like myself with these behaviours and emotion are always getting put in the wrong even in injustice.
You don't understand in yourself why other people are getting funny with you when you are right in situations. Also people can think your being funny with them when you actually were not and use it to claim your lying which can cause outbursts etc.

So is this because or possibly because of the dyspraxia? I have corrolating factors,anxiety,brain lesions and born prematurely by 6 weeks. I am very sorry about the spelling I am getting terrible at it lately.
Last edited by MusicL22 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
allesandro
Power poster

Re: I get more upset about having hypocondraplasia more than others?

Post by allesandro »

I honestly don't know if it has anything to do with dyspraxia or not. I just find it incomprehensible that in this day and age people can be so cruel and insensitive. Though I do remember many years ago walking down the street and seeing a kid taunting a man with a similar situation. Fortunately another kid had corrected him and pointed out the cruelty of the things he was saying.
I think this is a very difficult question for anyone to answer, but also a very difficult situation for anyone to be in. I'm so sorry that you have to experience this type of thing, and wish I could be of more help with answering your questions. Anytime you feel the need to vent, feel free to PM me. I wish you all the best
Qasdee
New member - welcome them!

Re: I get more upset about having hypochondroplasia more than others?

Post by Qasdee »

Hi 'music l22'. I dont think your reactions and feelings are anything to do with dypraxia but rather there 'normal' human feelings. I dont like tosay normal cos what is normal? If the norm is that people are a certain size saying those who are not the norm are 'abnormal' sounds derogatory..calling them outliers may be better but that may be construed as bias the other way cos outlier is a good term which indicates those who are not may not be as good etc. I digress...! Im sorryto hear that you get that sort of abuse i think its normal for people to do those things because ofsociety, the media etc. We need to educate people.
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Re: I get more upset about having hypocondraplasia more than others?

Post by MusicL22 »

allesandro wrote:I honestly don't know if it has anything to do with dyspraxia or not. I just find it incomprehensible that in this day and age people can be so cruel and insensitive. Though I do remember many years ago walking down the street and seeing a kid taunting a man with a similar situation. Fortunately another kid had corrected him and pointed out the cruelty of the things he was saying.
I think this is a very difficult question for anyone to answer, but also a very difficult situation for anyone to be in. I'm so sorry that you have to experience this type of thing, and wish I could be of more help with answering your questions. Anytime you feel the need to vent, feel free to PM me. I wish you all the best
Thank you for you're message and being understanding, more recently I seem to be letting less bother me, I'm sort of taking a "I can't be bothered to be bothered" attitude in my mind regarding a lot of things. At the end of the day I know I'm as healthy as anyone else can be. I'm still trying to get to see a neurologist about me bumping into things through the GP.
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Re: I get more upset about having hypochondroplasia more than others?

Post by MusicL22 »

Qasdee wrote:Hi 'music l22'. I dont think your reactions and feelings are anything to do with dypraxia but rather there 'normal' human feelings. I dont like tosay normal cos what is normal? If the norm is that people are a certain size saying those who are not the norm are 'abnormal' sounds derogatory..calling them outliers may be better but that may be construed as bias the other way cos outlier is a good term which indicates those who are not may not be as good etc. I digress...! Im sorryto hear that you get that sort of abuse i think its normal for people to do those things because ofsociety, the media etc. We need to educate people.
Thanks, I was wondering whether or not it was to do with dyspraxia or not. I mean it could be in a way but I'm not sure. I know I've gone off on a completely different subject that isnt dyspraxia related but in some ways could be in correlation, regarding portraying emotion.

Unfortunately even if people are educated it doesn't stop people being ignorant, in my eyes I say there are two types of ignorance, just not knowing about something but you'd like to learn and then there's ignorance where you are given the facts and refuse to understand and become arrogant. I know we all make fun of things we shouldn't but sometimes people need to know the right time,place and situation.