Memorial Day and Dyspraxia in the US

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Memorial Day and Dyspraxia in the US

Post by allesandro »

Well, it's Memorial Day Weekend in the US, the holiday where we celebrate those who have served in the military and so TV is loaded with special programs about veterans, and for the first time that I can remember, we're only going back to the 60's, presumably because most of the WW2 veterans have become deceased. I was just a child, but young enough to have memories because the stuff they talk about comes back to me as I watch. The affect seems to be missing however and I'm search backward in time I remember always having been too self obsessed to be too immersed in what was happening nationally. I think this was primarily due to the fact that I was always so anxious about my survival in those days. There was no such thing as 'dyspraxia' in those days, you were just stupid.
I was always worried about school even during the summer months when I should have been happy. There were so many good things about those days, especially summers spent at my grandmother's beach house.
But it was also a time when there was no political correctness and no understanding of and or support for dyspraxia. I often wonder what my scope of understanding and perspective might have been if I hadn't been consumed with anxiety about what I was going to have to do the next day at school, or with the onset of the new school year in the autumn.
It's quite a different world today (in case you didn't notice, I avoided being too graphic about my exact age). I have three nephews today, two of whom have just been identified as special needs. The youngest was born easily identifiable and the elder was just recently identified. I'm not happy about it, but at least they will grow up in a world more supportive and more forgiving
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Memorial Day and Dyspraxia in the US

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mike

I wasn't born till the mid 70s but have always had an interest in history. I guess a lot of concern back then was about the Russians and the Cubans and Nuclear annihilation. Suspect the average Russian was just as fearful that the US would launch a preemptive strike.

I think WW2, Korea and the hardships that war broughr was probably fresher in peoples minds so attitudes to difference/disability were different and there was less underdtanding with very much a 'get on with it you're not trying hard enough' attitude. I'm guessing you're glad you were too young to be drafted for Vietnam?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

There was very much a 'try harder' view on everything. I guess it's the attitude they felt helped them win the war, LOL. I think a better perspective might have been and should always be, ' what price dignity?' i.e. is it really worth it to lose all sense of dignity to learn geometry instead of focusing on finding one's talent. I think kids with dyspraxia should be taught to focus on and capitalize on strengths. Learning to be tenacious should never be at the cost of dignity
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Complerely agree.we're already trying we just think differently and don't need to be believing we're 'stupid'
I liked science but I struggled with the associated maths as It never a subject I liked
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I never liked math or chemistry either. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think perseverance is a valuable skill; truly it is. However, I do think it is an art to know when to encourage children to focus more on where their talents lie. When I was in school there weren't many options; conversely, there are many options today. People can make thing and sell them on ebay, or indulge in a variety of choices that weren't available when I was a child. I hope people encourage their dyspraxic children to explore their talents and creative outlets and to consider turning them into careers.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Tom fod wrote:Hi Mike

I wasn't born till the mid 70s but have always had an interest in history. I guess a lot of concern back then was about the Russians and the Cubans and Nuclear annihilation. Suspect the average Russian was just as fearful that the US would launch a preemptive strike.

I think WW2, Korea and the hardships that war broughr was probably fresher in peoples minds so attitudes to difference/disability were different and there was less underdtanding with very much a 'get on with it you're not trying hard enough' attitude. I'm guessing you're glad you were too young to be drafted for Vietnam?
We would all have succumbed to nuclear hellfire if it weren't for one extremely wonderful Russian fellow who got a warning from his computer system that some launch transients had been detected, which later turned out to be a glitch. Of course, he had no idea it was a glitch at the time, and it was his sole responsibility to launch a retaliatory strike in this instance, but he didn't. Thank God for that man.
melonwalen
New member - welcome them!

Post by melonwalen »

Wow, that's a truly incredible and terrifying story. It's amazing how one person's actions can have such a profound impact on the course of history. We never know when we might be called upon to make a crucial decision that could alter the course of events.