Perseverate on Negative Thoughts?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Perseverate on Negative Thoughts?

Post by allesandro »

Does anyone find that they perseverate on negative thoughts? I often find I have to very forcefully redirect myself away from negative thinking, and yet I am so averse to pain. Seems somewhat paradoxical.
Xam
Getting settled in

Re: Perseverate on Negative Thoughts?

Post by Xam »

I have a tendency to ruminate over negative thoughts, even thinking of negative situations that doesn't happens.
And yes, it's so natural to me to be this way that I have to fight it actively.

I'm not sure if it's an effect of our different neuroactivity, or if it is a result of our social lives as marginalized people.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

excellent point
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

My negative thoughts often manifest themselves physically when I'm by myself, like I'll react in the same way I would had something really happened. Strange, that!
Dreamer
Getting settled in

Post by Dreamer »

I really don't have any. They quit tight me down. Only what can help me is write poem or draw picture of what I feel. Maybe you can try some type of meditation or yoga. That's can help as well.
JKMarshal
New member - welcome them!

Post by JKMarshal »

I definitely have that challenge. It can be a real problem. We Dyspraxics can have a tendency for anxiety to be a part of our condition, whether that comes as a symptom or as a result of a lifetime of stressful situations I don't know but I think that the fact that we have rushed/disorganised thought patterns doesn't help.

Just over a year ago, I started mindfulness meditation practice to try and counter the worst parts of that. I try to do between 10-20 mins a day and I have found that it really helps. It doesn't stop the moments of anxiety coming, but I find that it helps me not to ruminate on the same thing for hours and to recognise the thought and let it pass.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

yes, I received hypnotherapy treatment some years ago and the therapist used an induction in which I had to look at situations without judgment, only with surprise and curiosity. I think that takes a lot of practice though. I wasn't very good at practicing, so I'm not very good at it. But your point is very well taken. Thank You
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

I can say so much that I absolutely obsess over negatives. I think living life with dyspraxia kind of drills it into you.

I will say, that rather than calling things overtly negative, I'd prefer to call them cautious, even cynical. Which I think many of us can relate to.

We have to deal with so much pushback from "normal" people over our traits, it's almost instilled in us to look into ourselves and believe that what we're being told about ourselves is true.

So we don't believe people when they tell us we're all equal. How could we? Life experience doesnt always correlate with that. But that's surely the case for anyone, whether dyspraxic or not.

We're different in some ways. But isn't everyone different? Some people think of themselves as so perfect or high performing, they aren't capable of considering challenges that do not challenge them.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

that's an excellent point. thank you