Is Anyone Sensitive To Noise or Odors?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Is Anyone Sensitive To Noise or Odors?

Post by allesandro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 pm

I've always been hypersensitive to noise and smell and while I've heard that sensitivity to noise is not uncommon among dyspraxics I've never heard anyone mention sensitivity to odors. It's often very difficult for me to use public rest rooms, and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Re: Is Anyone Sensitive To Noise or Odors?

Post by SwervingCentaur » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:48 am

Not really odours, but more of noises. I hate sirens, lawnmowers, ticking clocks, ticking clock is the worst one for me.

Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Can´t stand loud noises or perfume. Noise-canceling headphones are a godsend for me.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Generally speaking I don't think my sense of smell is all that good. I would expect my colleagues to say I'm the noisy one though who I'm stressed I think I'm more affected by distractions.

I believe it is true that many people are more prone to sensory overload.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 am

I wish my sense of smell was not good; I think I have some Labrador retriever blood in me somewhere

Laura.marie55
Getting settled in

Post by Laura.marie55 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:26 am

I do struggle with odors, but noise and light are worse. I work on an intensive care unit and I feel I get sensory overload all the time especially the alarms, but the bright lights and odors are really bad too. I find I get quite agitated by it all.

MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:53 pm

allesandro wrote:I've always been hypersensitive to noise and smell and while I've heard that sensitivity to noise is not uncommon among dyspraxics I've never heard anyone mention sensitivity to odors. It's often very difficult for me to use public rest rooms, and I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.
Yes I don't like my mum clicking her finger nails and I don't like tinnitus sounding tones. Very irritating even from a distance, you tell people to stop and they think your being awkward.

MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm

:bike: also I am very sensitive to smells I once had a nurse say " youre sensitive to smells arent you?" Also smells cause sinus pain like one particular perfume I don't like.