Quick question?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Quick question?

Post by SwervingCentaur »

Does anyone who suffers from Dyspraxia, do they watch something once, and can they remember everything, like say a movie or a television show, can they memorise the words, scenes, actor names, character names, what's going to happen next. Or if you see someone from a show that you watched on another show, can you remember where he is from and who he was? My family jokingly call me Rain Man.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Quick question?

Post by Tom fod »

In theory many struggle with short term memory but that's not always the case. I'm good at recalling facts and info but can't do what you can. Hell I'm a little jealous!

It's a really useful transferable skill you can harness but sometimes you have to be a bit selective about how you employ it sometimes.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I can remember every school trip I went on. Every holiday. Bits and pieces from primary school and junior school. Video games. Which is why I think that the best job that I can do is inputting data, due to having an excellent memory.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Or as a researcher doing analysis of data so it can be put to use. Computers can spit out correlations but a human brain is still required.

Years ago I did some mind numbing work experience where I was saving files into ASCII format and it was worse than inputting results from a public survey about parking in a nearby town, but at least I was paid for that.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I'm working as data entry at the Royal Mail, I did it over Christmas, and I was on the leaderboard for accuracy and efficiency, and was beating others that have done it for years.
NoLimitations
Getting settled in

Post by NoLimitations »

Hi SwervingCentaur,
Wow, this sounds amazing, my short term memory is brutal, can never engage in conversations about tv as i forget all the names, very very useful skill to have. Think im also jealous but in a nice way :).
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

@Swerving Centre

Cool and always a bonus knowing what to expect and that that you have a proven track record.

I think it is probably quite difficult for many to gain promotion. I've always been conscioys that others seem to progress further and faster by being able to be more confident.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Having a good memory like this is always good when people try to say that I was somewhere when I wasn't, or if I have said something that I shouldn't have. Like a couple of years ago, when I was working in one of the busiest factory in the country, someone who I worked tried to put the blame on me for doing a job incorrectly, and I was on the side of the factory.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I have a terrible memory, especially for lyrics in songs. It sucks, because I love music but can never sing along properly.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I am also good at facts about general history and politics. I am currently in a quiz team with my friends, and for the past couple of weeks, I have been carrying the team by answering the most obscure questions, and my answers have been right and the other members of the team overruled me due to the fact that they thought they were wrong. I don't need to look at a keyboard to type, which I know people with Dyspraxia, may have to do it, due to not be able to see the keyboard.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

SwervingCentaur wrote:I am also good at facts about general history and politics. I am currently in a quiz team with my friends, and for the past couple of weeks, I have been carrying the team by answering the most obscure questions, and my answers have been right and the other members of the team overruled me due to the fact that they thought they were wrong. I don't need to look at a keyboard to type, which I know people with Dyspraxia, may have to do it, due to not be able to see the keyboard.
I go to a quiz most Thursdays. I'm usually pretty good on History, Current Affairs, Science and Nature and other obscure topics, not much good on Sport or Celebrity Tittle Tattle. I think if we aren't convinced we've remembered the answer right we are more at risk of acceding to the majority view of what the answer should be.

I was taught touch typing but I do have a bad habit of looking at my fingers as much as the screen.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Our quiz, we do a picture round, that all depends if you know what they're from or who they are. A music round, which I'm not very good at, it's either tv shows that I haven't watched or out of my music that I don't normally listen to. The music that I like ranges from the 40's to current day. Movie questions, all depends on the movie. I can get historical questions, mainly focusing on World War 2 or Nazi Germany, one of the questions what the name of the beaches that the British and Candian forces landed, it give you two names, and you had to guess the other, which I did.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

And talking about the keyboard or typing. I'll only struggle with a word that I have never come across before, but if I'm generally typing, I never use words to seem clever, because it's not normal, as I'm trying to be a professional author and scriptwriter, so using big words when you have no idea what they're meaning, is pointless.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

SwervingCentaur wrote:One of the questions what the name of the beaches that the British and Candian forces landed, it give you two names, and you had to guess the other, which I did.
Gold Juno and Sword.
Given it was Combined Ops effort were Omaha and Utah strictly US only?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

SwervingCentaur wrote:I am also good at facts about general history and politics. I am currently in a quiz team with my friends, and for the past couple of weeks, I have been carrying the team by answering the most obscure questions, and my answers have been right and the other members of the team overruled me due to the fact that they thought they were wrong. I don't need to look at a keyboard to type, which I know people with Dyspraxia, may have to do it, due to not be able to see the keyboard.
I'm the same - I know lots of pointless things about random subjects, mainly facts, figures and statistics, but more frivolous things I am rubbish at remembering!