Lack of sleep?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Lack of sleep?

Post by SwervingCentaur »

Does anyone that has Dyspraxia ever suffered from night terrors, insomnia and hallucinations?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Lack of sleep?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi you may be relieved to learn night terrors have been mentioned by others here in the past

In 2013
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... ors#p22918

and in 2007
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... rors#p6426

There is likely a higher incidence of insomnia as we think more actively and may struggle to switch off and enter the necessary state of relaxation to enable restful sleep.

Sorry I cannot offer an expert view here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Yes, I have something called REM sleep disorder. On several occasions i have actually destroyed my bedroom during the night as well as an expensive pair of eye glasses.
Dreamer
Getting settled in

Post by Dreamer »

I think I had like last year insomnia . I cannot sleep almost 2 weeks. It was horrible experience when you have to work but you are not fresh. Recently I have it sutendly wake up in middle of the night. I have trouble to fall to sleep again. I get so many thoughts at my head and I cannot stop them. It's quiet to get sleep but still I done feel so horrible like when I had proper insomnia.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I find this fascinating because I never knew what this was about before reading about it here. I even went to the sleep disorder center of a major university with no help or insight. all they did was try to schedule me for another sleep study which takes two days and which entails hooking you up to a host of leads and electrodes and then putting you on camera and telling you to sleep while they record you. the obvious question would be, if I can't sleep anyway, how do you ever expect me to sleep hooked up like this and while on camera??? no one ever answers you, so I decided that going through this once was more than enough. they claim it is caused by sleep apnea and that correcting the sleep apnea, corrects the night terrors. It sounds like nonsense to me.
Dreamer
Getting settled in

Post by Dreamer »

That's really sounds weird. A day this happen during the day or it was at night when is nature for human to sleep. When I have actually insomnia and I cannot really sleep at all. I have feelings at the day. Like I am living in my personal hallucinations. It was really weird.
Dyspraxic mac
New member - welcome them!

Post by Dyspraxic mac »

I have had all 3 all my life and because of this have ended up addicted to sleeping tablets its the only way i can get some rest nice to know im not the only one though lol
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

Insomnia is a big one for me.

I think it's stress that causes it, perhaps a little compulsive behaviour - "I must have a few more games, I am not gratified."

I've woken up not able to sleep unless I processed a few dozen photos. Even though it was 3AM.

Thinking about it, it is probably an instant gratification issue. But it causes tiredness and stress. Which in turn causes issues at work. So we look for more gratification outside of work.

And so the pattern repeats.
RedRevolver
Getting settled in

Post by RedRevolver »

Yeah, I've been prone to it off and on, but I manage to sleep enough that I've never really considered it insomnia until the past few months were it's all progressed to nightmares and an inability to fall asleep without waking myself up first.

I've started taking trazodone to try nad help.
csaroboll

Post by csaroboll »

For the people of your age the test looks better than normal. But your SHBG is higher than usual and you should better consult with your doctor about it. Thyroid function also looks normal, so no worries about your current health conditions. Surprisingly for you, your test results are the same as mine after doing the surgery https://www.xcellr8.health/testosterone-replacement/ , so be proud of your testerone level right now. It would be cool if you will perform some daily exercises to keep your current condition normal. Good luck, man!
Last edited by csaroboll on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DDIGITALDNR

Post by DDIGITALDNR »

Yeah my Brain normally won't switch off at night, a 3 or 4am off to bed is sometimes normal for me. I tend to sleep better just around dawn according to Sleep Tracking. I've used Podcasts and before they were a thing traditional Radio to help me sleep as people talking calms my mind, Reading also helps calm my thoughts. I suffer from persistent fatigue in the daytime even with a good nights sleep and used to work reduced hours because I could not stay awake.
PaulQuinn

Post by PaulQuinn »

I suffered from insomnia two years ago, and I changed my whole life routine to treat it.
csaroboll

Post by csaroboll »

Dyspraxia isn't very dangerous, but unfortunately, it can cause sleep disorders like insomnia, night terrors, and even hallucinations. That is why you should consult a doctor as soon as you find out you have this disease. It can be treated easily, that is why you shouldn't worry about it. There are a lot of articles on the internet where you can find more information about dyspraxia, insomnia, and other similar diseases. Visit https://fherehab.com/learning/causes-of-insomnia if you are interested.
T from Bid
Getting settled in

Post by T from Bid »

I have found prayer quite successful as a means of clearing my mind, followed by a saved audio track of rain on a tin roof.
Hahanghan

Post by Hahanghan »

I understand how difficult it can be to struggle with sleep-related issues. I can relate to the frustration of not being able to fall asleep and feeling tired during the day. I've heard from people with similar experiences that the sleep-aid device Dodow can be helpful. It works by projecting a soft blue light on the ceiling and slowly increasing and decreasing the speed to help you fall asleep. Some people have reported positive results with the Dodow. Check out some of the online to see if they may be a good fit for you. It's always worth a shot to try and improve your sleep, as a good night's rest is crucial for overall health and well-being.

Edidted by Shadwell (Moderator): Hyperlink removed, please do not advertise fake products hyperlinks, it is proven fact that blue is the worst colour for insomnia research done by many doctors around the world.