Article about inclusivity in Physical Education

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Article about inclusivity in Physical Education

Post by Tom fod »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43258500
What do people think? A step in the right direction at last?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Re: Article about inclusivity in Physical Education

Post by Ram »

I definitely think Ms Curling is making a positive move.

One irony I always felt about PE at school was that it did not live up to its title of Physical Education:- in other words, the classes were not focused on developing the bodies and health of ALL pupils. Instead, they seemed to be more about training the best few to represent the school.

I don't totally blame the PE teachers themselves. I understand that winning sporting events is of great importance to a school's reputation, and that PE teachers are often under great pressure to attend to this in classes that were much too infrequent.

Because health & fitness is important for all pupils, I think there should actually be MORE PE classes in the curriculum. But they should be more about personal development than competition. Competitive Training for sporting events should be a separate matter that can be done in the pupils' free time.

Anyway, I hope more schools look at what Ms Curling is doing and consider incorporating some of her ideas.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

PE in the 60s and 70s was a nightmare for those of us who were likely dyspraxic .
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I think this is an awesome article and long over due. Back in the 70's the PE teachers I had taught nothing: they divided the class into teams through the kids a ball and just let them play. I hope this concept comes to the US someday.