The ice after the snow

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

The ice after the snow

Post by firemonkey »

How do you cope with the ice that invariably comes after the snow? I had some grips to put on my shoes to stop me falling over but now have new shoes that the grips wouldn't fit. As it is I can't find the grips after I moved anyway . Without grips I find it very hard to keep my balance .
jelly1000
Getting settled in

Re: The ice after the snow

Post by jelly1000 »

Honestly, last time it snowed I didn't manage. I had to ask people for a hand which was embarrasing. This time thankfully the snow has been washed away by rain so no icey stage. I'm seriously considering investing in a pair of walking boots with proper grippy soles for the next time it snows though.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I don't know what 'grips' are, but I just walk very slowly and stay very attentive
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

allesandro wrote:I don't know what 'grips' are, but I just walk very slowly and stay very attentive
Mike

I think the ones referred to are Yax Trax they're metal coils that bungee over the sole of your shoe or boot, to give you additional traction on snow/ice. We don't get a lot of snow in the UK so we're really not used to it and for those of us who can trip on thin air, slippery pavements (sidewalks) are a bit of a nightmare.

Still as of this morning it has all but disappeared in the small city where I live and hasn't hung around nearly as long as it did after Christmas. They still have a bit out in the Forest of Dean and in other parts of England, Scotland and Wales that are more hilly/mountainous.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Thanks for the info Tom. I will look for them as we get lots of snow and ice here in the Northeastern US. They sound great.