The ice after the snow

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Regular Poster

The ice after the snow

Postby firemonkey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:05 am

How do you cope with the ice that invariably comes after the snow? I had some grips to put on my shoes to stop me falling over but now have new shoes that the grips wouldn't fit. As it is I can't find the grips after I moved anyway . Without grips I find it very hard to keep my balance .

jelly1000
New member - welcome them!

Re: The ice after the snow

Postby jelly1000 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Honestly, last time it snowed I didn't manage. I had to ask people for a hand which was embarrasing. This time thankfully the snow has been washed away by rain so no icey stage. I'm seriously considering investing in a pair of walking boots with proper grippy soles for the next time it snows though.

allesandro
Power poster

Postby allesandro » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 pm

I don't know what 'grips' are, but I just walk very slowly and stay very attentive

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm

allesandro wrote:I don't know what 'grips' are, but I just walk very slowly and stay very attentive

Mike

I think the ones referred to are Yax Trax they're metal coils that bungee over the sole of your shoe or boot, to give you additional traction on snow/ice. We don't get a lot of snow in the UK so we're really not used to it and for those of us who can trip on thin air, slippery pavements (sidewalks) are a bit of a nightmare.

Still as of this morning it has all but disappeared in the small city where I live and hasn't hung around nearly as long as it did after Christmas. They still have a bit out in the Forest of Dean and in other parts of England, Scotland and Wales that are more hilly/mountainous.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

allesandro
Power poster

Postby allesandro » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 am

Thanks for the info Tom. I will look for them as we get lots of snow and ice here in the Northeastern US. They sound great.

Return to “Dyspraxia Chat”