Is psychiatry any better nowadays at understanding dyspraxia?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Is psychiatry any better nowadays at understanding dyspraxia?

Post by firemonkey »

I dislike chopping and peeling. Years ago when I was a psychiatric inpatient I was put on a cookery group. I got chucked off for supposedly being bolshy. The reason I was taking ages to peel potatoes and not doing a good job of it.It was a task I really struggled with. OT staff may be more clued up now, but back then ignorance abounded.
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Re: Is psychiatry any better nowadays at understanding dyspraxia?

Post by MusicL22 »

In my opinion I don't think they know much about Dypraxia, I think it depends on the psychiatrist some know I met one who knew about it. I also struggle with peeling potatoes which Is why I've avoided it for while until I got the razor like peelers.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

The more I read about Dyspraxia now, the more I realise how lucky it was that my teacher at primary school picked up on my problems and told my mum to get me assessed for it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

As I understand it, Dyspraxia is not a psychiatric condition. However, it’s fair to say that many people may have or will develop mental health difficulties either directly or indirectly due to the fact we are Dyspraxic. My understanding is that Occupational Therapy is there to help people with or through carrying out day to day activities and will work with clients who may have physical and/or mental health difficulties. I completely agree that for many of us putting us on vegetable preparation duties would feel like torture and cause a significant degree of anxiety for some too. That said I believe whilst a good few would see some improvement as long as they didn’t lose the use of hands/fingers. It’s certainly not a task I could see as being therapeutic for myself or result in tidily ot uniformly prepared julienne or diced veg.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I don't think so. I think they look at the comorbidity associated with it : depression, anxiety,etc. and treat that if anything.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Format: Abstract

Send to
Dev Psychopathol. 2015 Nov;27(4 Pt 1):1323-30. doi: 10.1017/S0954579414001436.
Childhood dyspraxia predicts adult-onset nonaffective-psychosis-spectrum disorder.
Schiffman J1, Mittal V2, Kline E1, Mortensen EL3, Michelsen N3, Ekstrøm M4, Millman ZB1, Mednick SA4, Sørensen HJ4.
Author information
Abstract

Several neurological variables have been investigated as premorbid biomarkers of vulnerability for schizophrenia and other related disorders. The current study examined whether childhood dyspraxia predicted later adult nonaffective-psychosis-spectrum disorders. From a standardized neurological examination performed with children (aged 10-13) at genetic high risk of schizophrenia and controls, several measures of dyspraxia were used to create a scale composed of face/head dyspraxia, oral articulation, ideomotor dyspraxia (clumsiness), and dressing dyspraxia (n = 244). Multinomial logistic regression showed higher scores on the dyspraxia scale predict nonaffective-psychosis-spectrum disorders relative to other psychiatric disorders and no mental illness outcomes, even after controlling for genetic risk, χ2 (4, 244) = 18.61, p < .001. Findings that symptoms of dyspraxia in childhood (reflecting abnormalities spanning functionally distinct brain networks) specifically predict adult nonaffective-psychosis-spectrum disorders are consistent with a theory of abnormal connectivity, and they highlight a marked early-stage vulnerability in the pathophysiology of nonaffective-psychosis-spectrum disorders

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26439077