Problems verbalising thoughts have an upside?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickm321
New member - welcome them!

Problems verbalising thoughts have an upside?

Post by nickm321 »

Hi,
I'm 43 and have dealt with being dyspraxic all my life. I was lucky to have physio to help with co-ordination when young, and have since gotten into sports such as mountain biking and surfing. I know my balance and co-ordination aren't as natural as other peoples, but I have done well all the same considering. Can definitely recommend doing sport to improve motor control, as well as having a good time!

In this I feel that while I don't have the same baseline level of fine motor control as others, I do have a good spatial awareness. This is a visual and felt sense of the world around me, and I feel it's like a heightenend instinct for my 3 dimensional environment that helps to make up for deficits in my motor abilities. Which leads me on to verbalisation...

Whilst I do have really notable problems putting my thoughts into words to explain to others, I have an awareness of a sense of knowing that transcends language. I'm sure many people can tune into an intuition sense, but I wonder if in being dyspraxic, my intution has grown more muscular!? Rather like the intuition for my location in the physical world seems to have grown stronger in the absence of a strong reactive sportsman like motor control.

The modern world values highly being eloquent and meticulous in explaining oneself verbally. Maybe that's come from a mixture of scientific development and litigation culture. But our memories, thoughts, and intellectual concepts are first and foremost stored in non-verbal form. It's another leap to graft on the written on spoken language, we're acting as interpreters. And while not all of us are expert linguists, we may very well have potent intellects and/or world wisdom, instincts, strong ability to grasp and mold concepts etc.

I'm starting to trust more and more my intution, having felt somewhat stupid over the years in not being able to deliver verbal proofs of a conviction that I knew something at a profound and sophisticated level. In fact I am finding the intuition is soooo much faster than the verbal language, and I'm only just starting to learn to think in non-verbal ways, it's a kind of short-cut! I wonder if anyone has any experience in this way of thinking? It's almost as if there were a need for a paradigm of non-verbal cognitive practice!

I hope that all makes sense! I've become a trained counsellor over the past few years, so have a particular interest in both brain science and emotional wellbeing. I was trying to identify an emotional reaction I'd had to something the other day. After struggling for a couple of minutes for a concise verbal description, I tuned into the idea that words were getting in the way, and instantly came up with a gesture that summed it up far better than any clever sentence! :)

Nick.
NoLimitations
Getting settled in

Re: Problems verbalising thoughts have an upside?

Post by NoLimitations »

Hi Nick,
This sounds interesting as I also have difficulty in the area of verbalising my thoughts. Would love to hear more about this.
Lifetime33
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lifetime33 »

Hi Nick,

What you’re saying all makes coherent sense to me. I only have a couple of issues with what you’re saying.

1. I understand exactly what you mean by non verbal intuition. It’s a transcendental thought(s) that exceeds our own verbalization; you did a fine job of explaining it because ironically- that same intuition to what you’ve explained has clicked inside my head; and I understand what you mean completely. But how do you know that “normal” people aren’t working on that exact same level; but they couldn’t ever realize it? I mean what if because we’re not able to articulate our thoughts; the thoughts become 10x more transcendatal because were able to become self aware of them?

2. The second issue I have is that these amazing thoughts that I get; that wisdom you were talking about: I usually lose them because I have a really bad short term memory; and it doesn’t help that I can’t verbalize them. So a question I had is that- how do you remember the self aware feelings or amazing thoughts that you get? I have a theory that the feelings feel “transcendental” because the spatial awareness in which where our brain lacks; substitutes into our organization of a hyper-awareness that’s able to connect a streamline of ideas into a sort of “webbed thinking”: which makes it so that we’re able to pull ideas that are long term and connect them better than the average person. If you’d want me to clarify more; then please email me I’d love to talk with you

@chris.keightley3@gmail.com

-Chris
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I also have difficulty processing thoughts and expressing during conversations most especially when the content of the information is complex, contains multiple stimuli, or when the conversation itself is emotionally charged. Combine all of those factors and I just space out completely. Interestingly enough I've discovered that the information I previously thought was lost during the spacing out, was not lost, it just takes some ferreting out. That is, it comes back to me in bits and pieces, depending on how long it takes me to process the complexity of it, or the length of time it takes me to restore emotional equilibrium if the information was particularly upsetting. It's weird how the information is all there, it just takes inordinate time to process. The only exception is when the information is too difficult for me to process, such as the case with mathematical equations and such. I'm wondering if anyone else can relate to this