Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by allesandro »

Ram wrote:
allesandro wrote:That's so true. The internet does make it extremely difficult for us to discern the meaning of what is written. That leaves us so very vulnerable to projection. When I first read all of this commotion about a single word ( which was a very innocent incredulous response,
not sarcastic) I was just like, "Blimey, I can't believe me ears," LOL
I think single words are especially prone to being interpreted differently by the listener/reader because there is no context.
Well, you're correct. Also, as I had said previously to you in a pm, Americans live in a very large country, and the slang expressions vary from region to region, and from state to state, even from city to city. In New England, for instance, the word 'wicked' means extremely, such as 'the concert was wicked awesome,' in the rest of the country the word 'wicked' means evil, as it does in Old English. Then there is the whole issue of race: different ethnic groups and racial groups other than Caucasian have slang words all their own. It's very difficult to keep up with. If you watch the Alfred Hitchcock movie 'Marnie,' Sean Connery catches a liar and a thief because she claims to be from Philadelphia but her accent and slang slips out and he knows that she must be from the South.
I know the British have different accents and slang, but our country is much bigger than yours, and the accents and slang words are such that even Americans can't keep with them
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

allesandro wrote:
Well, you're correct. Also, as I had said previously to you in a pm, Americans live in a very large country, and the slang expressions vary from region to region, and from state to state, even from city to city. In New England, for instance, the word 'wicked' means extremely, such as 'the concert was wicked awesome,' in the rest of the country the word 'wicked' means evil, as it does in Old English. Then there is the whole issue of race: different ethnic groups and racial groups other than Caucasian have slang words all their own. It's very difficult to keep up with. If you watch the Alfred Hitchcock movie 'Marnie,' Sean Connery catches a liar and a thief because she claims to be from Philadelphia but her accent and slang slips out and he knows that she must be from the South.
I know the British have different accents and slang, but our country is much bigger than yours, and the accents and slang words are such that even Americans can't keep with them
The pragmatics of words is one of those strange topics that seems simple at first but is extremely complex. It's interesting that the word 'wicked' can mean very/extremely in New England. In Britain the 'wicked' was often used to mean 'great/cool/excellent' by young people in the 1980s & 1990s (probably much to the horror of older people). I don't know if it is still used in this way.

Some words have a hidden meaning in some cultures that do not exist in others. For example, in most of Asia the word 'hurry' simply means 'be as quick as you humanly can.' However, in most western cultures, it come across as highly peremptory to say the least and should not be used even if you're a customer in a shop/restaurant. It's almost a bit like sanpping your finger at the staff. A British Indian explained that the first generation of Indian immigrants made this cultural mistake when they first arrived in Britain in the fifties and annoyed a few locals as a result.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

If something is great the yoof of today say sometimes say it is 'Sick'
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Qasdee
New member - welcome them!

Post by Qasdee »

I think the site does seem quite old (not as bad as dypraxia foundation. Its an absolute terrible website). I actually found this site through the nhs website! :)i think maybe a revamped website carefully constructed (im sure the dyspraxia foundation could help,join hands (like the childline website where they have a chat & forum area) or signpost to potential donators aswell as private donations. If the site looks engaging, enjoyable and connects ppl i think people will pay and want to be a part of it. Its already been of immemse benefit so thank you to all those behind it and the contributors.

Qasdee :)
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

allesandro wrote:
Ram wrote:
allesandro wrote:That's so true. The internet does make it extremely difficult for us to discern the meaning of what is written. That leaves us so very vulnerable to projection. When I first read all of this commotion about a single word ( which was a very innocent incredulous response,
not sarcastic) I was just like, "Blimey, I can't believe me ears," LOL
I think single words are especially prone to being interpreted differently by the listener/reader because there is no context.
I know this is an old post, but I think Britain probably matches the US in slang diversity, as our country has existed for far longer. If you look at the variability of accents in just England, there's definitively more distinct accents, with slang to boot. People from Essex might use the word 'duck' to refer to friends, whereas in London, it's likely mate. In Scotland, it's c*nt! :P
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Qasdee wrote:I think the site does seem quite old (not as bad as dypraxia foundation. Its an absolute terrible website). I actually found this site through the nhs website! :)i think maybe a revamped website carefully constructed (im sure the dyspraxia foundation could help,join hands (like the childline website where they have a chat & forum area) or signpost to potential donators aswell as private donations. If the site looks engaging, enjoyable and connects ppl i think people will pay and want to be a part of it. Its already been of immemse benefit so thank you to all those behind it and the contributors.

Qasdee :)
I couldn't agree more. This website is sadly lacking, and is great need of revamping if it is to be at all supportive to readers. Well done, Qasdee.
Susan69
Getting settled in

Post by Susan69 »

Tom fod wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 pm Thank you.

I completely agree, Whilst we can't force people to post X number of posts a week (and I wouldn't want that) it would be great if it were more lively here.

I try to answer posts that are going unanswered where I can as I'm conscious people in many cases will be feeling a bit distressed and I don't want them to lose hope in the Forums and feel utterly alone. We all have valid experiences we can share that may help someone to feel that their situation maybe less hopeless, than they first felt.

Equally If I've responded to a post and anyone's thinking what utter waffle I'd be really quite grateful if anyone can offer a potentially more helpful perspective.
Hi

I'm new and posted Saturday for advice and no-one has answered it though several people seem to have looked. (Dyspraxia or Ataxia post). I'm hoping for an answer soon or I may as well leave if I'm not going to get any answers. I often feel unliked and don't know whether its the autism or not as I noticed social skill problems can be part of the dyspraxia too?

Susan
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Susan

Did you see the private message response I sent you?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Susan69
Getting settled in

Post by Susan69 »

Tom fod wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 pm Hi Susan

Did you see the private message response I sent you?
Where do I go to find that please?

ahhh!>..never mind...found it! ..sorry tiny writing at top...dodgy eyesight..lol!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Glad you found it
I've been on the site since 2011 (iirc) but I suspect a lot of people have not realised they can send/receivePrivate Messages (PMs) too

I hope the site helps you in trying to find some useful answers.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator