Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan
Power poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:51 am

There's a forum I go to where they have lots of post rating options like 'Agree', 'Disagree', 'Funny', 'Friendly', etc. but it is a rather popular forum so it doesn't detract from the quality/quantity of posts as much as I imagine it would here. That forum runs on vBulletin, not PHPbb though. Also, I DESPISE PHP, lol, so it may be a little harder to change. I am guessing vBulletin makes extensive use of PHP too, considering it is a great way to talk to databases, but the name of PHPbb indicates there's a bigger influence of that language. Whose idea was it to make the == be a . in PHP when C++, Java, JavaScript and many other languages use ==? Who knows!?

Ram, I don't think Allesandro meant to offend you, exactly. He seems pretty decent in general, so I wouldn't take it personally. I can see how it can easily be interpreted as a sort of sarcastic admonishment, but it might be good to get some more context before assuming it was meant in an insulting way.

allesandro
Power poster
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by allesandro » Sun May 06, 2018 9:08 am

Ram wrote:
allesandro wrote:Seriously??
That response comes across as a sarcastic attitude of disbelief to my previous post if I understand you correctly.

I was honestly doing my best to respond to your original post. You are more than welcome to disagree with me or any other responses. But your treating of forum members who take the trouble to respond to you in such a dismissive and disrespectful manner is completely unacceptable. If you take such an attitude, it is unlikely that you will get responses from any members for much longer.
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. All I said was 'seriously?' The rest was your projection; those are your words not mine

Tom fod
Administrator
Posts: 1889
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 pm
Location: SW UK

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Tom fod » Sun May 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Can see views on this are somewhat polarised.

If it were possible being able to 'like' a post, it could give the poster a sense that his or her post/response had been at least acknowedged but sometimes a like can be construed as inflammatory!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Dan
Power poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Dan » Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 am

Tom fod wrote:Can see views on this are somewhat polarised.

If it were possible being able to 'like' a post, it could give the poster a sense that his or her post/response had been at least acknowedged but sometimes a like can be construed as inflammatory!
Yeah, I think a rating system would probably reduce the likelihood of people writing responses at all.

Ram
Power poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Ram » Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am

allesandro wrote:[

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. All I said was 'seriously?' The rest was your projection; those are your words not mine
I apologize if my previous post was too harsh. It seems as if our wires have got inadvertently crossed.

The word 'seriously' is not much used as a one word utterance on our side of the Atlantic (at least not by us older generation folks).

However, I always understood from watching American TV/movies that if the word 'seriously' is expressed with a rising tone or written with a question mark (as occurs frequently on Gray's Anatomy), it has a similar meaning to "Get lost/Don't give me that B.S.". On the other hand, if it is expressed with a neutral tone or written with a period/full-stop, it means something along the lines of "That may well be so. That's right."

It appears that I've got this wrong, so I would grateful if at sometime point in time, you could tell me a little bit more about what the one word expression 'seriously' can mean.

Ram
Power poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Ram » Mon May 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Dan wrote:
Tom fod wrote:Can see views on this are somewhat polarised.

If it were possible being able to 'like' a post, it could give the poster a sense that his or her post/response had been at least acknowedged but sometimes a like can be construed as inflammatory!
Yeah, I think a rating system would probably reduce the likelihood of people writing responses at all.
I can see that some members really would appreciate more posts on this site, and of course I respect their right to an opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb with a different perspective, however.

I actually don't think the relatively small number of posts on this website is that bad a thing. This because when the posts do come, they are usually of decent quality. On the other hand, there are a lot of websites around which I have not bothered to join (even though the subject matter interests me) because the posts are prolific but of an extremely vacuous and often insulting nature.

Dan
Power poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Dan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Ram wrote:
allesandro wrote:[

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. All I said was 'seriously?' The rest was your projection; those are your words not mine
I apologize if my previous post was too harsh. It seems as if our wires have got inadvertently crossed.

The word 'seriously' is not much used as a one word utterance on our side of the Atlantic (at least not by us older generation folks).

However, I always understood from watching American TV/movies that if the word 'seriously' is expressed with a rising tone or written with a question mark (as occurs frequently on Gray's Anatomy), it has a similar meaning to "Get lost/Don't give me that B.S.". On the other hand, if it is expressed with a neutral tone or written with a period/full-stop, it means something along the lines of "That may well be so. That's right."

It appears that I've got this wrong, so I would grateful if at sometime point in time, you could tell me a little bit more about what the one word expression 'seriously' can mean.
I also interpreted it sarcastically, but I don't think it was meant to be taken in an insulting way, necessarily. I think it was just a standard incredulous response. I'm not going to speak for allesandro though.

allesandro
Power poster
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by allesandro » Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 am

I don't know that one can compare spoken dialogue from a TV show with written text. The latter has no facial expression, no tone or voice inflection, etc. Therefore it might be good idea to ask for clarification when in doubt. I do, however find it interesting that just one little word could elicit so much free time and energy for people to write about.

Dan
Power poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Dan » Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 am

allesandro wrote:I don't know that one can compare spoken dialogue from a TV show with written text. The latter has no facial expression, no tone or voice inflection, etc. Therefore it might be good idea to ask for clarification when in doubt. I do, however find it interesting that just one little word could elicit so much free time and energy for people to write about.
I've already written the novel and have been sending it to publishers. ;)

Ram
Power poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Ram » Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm

allesandro wrote: .....it might be good idea to ask for clarification when in doubt.
That is a good point.
Last edited by Ram on Tue May 08, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ram
Power poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Ram » Tue May 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Dan wrote:
allesandro wrote:I don't know that one can compare spoken dialogue from a TV show with written text. The latter has no facial expression, no tone or voice inflection, etc. Therefore it might be good idea to ask for clarification when in doubt. I do, however find it interesting that just one little word could elicit so much free time and energy for people to write about.
I've already written the novel and have been sending it to publishers. ;)
This is one of those witty remarks that would deserve a thumbs up if this website had the facility. Unfortunately, my comment here has probably derailed your witticism.

Anyway, I hope the publishers appreciate your work and that you go on to to sell more than Stephen King and JK Rowling put together! ;)
Last edited by Ram on Tue May 08, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allesandro
Power poster
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by allesandro » Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Wish I could think of more American words that could stimulate such controversy and back-and-forth witty responses.
No, seriously for now on I'm going to check with the British consulate before I respond to any posts, LOL.

Dan
Power poster
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Dan » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 pm

allesandro wrote:Wish I could think of more American words that could stimulate such controversy and back-and-forth witty responses.
No, seriously for now on I'm going to check with the British consulate before I respond to any posts, LOL.
Us British are extremely afraid of displaying our emotions up-front in any capacity, a diatribe often ending up being blurted out after years of anger welling up inside of us. Sarcasm is the only way we're able to register dissatisfaction without breaking The Queen's emotional gag rule. :p

I'm pretty sure you meant this comment in jest, but my jokey comments were only meant to defuse a potentially explosive situation, not to cause any annoyance. The main problem with the Internet is that it's difficult to interpret what people mean sometimes.

allesandro
Power poster
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by allesandro » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

That's so true. The internet does make it extremely difficult for us to discern the meaning of what is written. That leaves us so very vulnerable to projection. When I first read all of this commotion about a single word ( which was a very innocent incredulous response,
not sarcastic) I was just like, "Blimey, I can't believe me ears," LOL

Ram
Power poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 am

Re: Keeping Current With Fresh Posts

Post by Ram » Wed May 09, 2018 12:30 pm

allesandro wrote:That's so true. The internet does make it extremely difficult for us to discern the meaning of what is written. That leaves us so very vulnerable to projection. When I first read all of this commotion about a single word ( which was a very innocent incredulous response,
not sarcastic) I was just like, "Blimey, I can't believe me ears," LOL
I think single words are especially prone to being interpreted differently by the listener/reader because there is no context.

Post Reply