Dyspraxia- a broader approach is needed?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Dyspraxia- a broader approach is needed?

Post by firemonkey »

#dyspraxia Dyspraxia -are we getting the full picture? I don't know about other countries but in the UK the emphasis seems to be strongly on problems with physical coordination to the relative neglect of other aspects. This seems to be especially relevant to adults with dyspraxia. Whereas things like physical coordination difficulties are more likely to improve naturally , though not necessarily be good ,it's doubtful the same can be said for problems with executive functioning such as organising,planning,sequencing and time management. Yet it seems ,at least in the UK, the cognitive issues are given scant attention. Do those dealing with dypraxia need to take a much broader, more holistic approach? I think so.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia- a broader approach is needed?

Post by Tom fod »

Agree but not sure there is much of even a narrow approach and inclined to feel most help (where it is even offered) seems to be aimed at ameliorating physical or sensory impairment

To me at lot of the difficulty stems from the less than helpful attitude of others/generally held societal attitudes, Too many of us suffer with anxiety and/or low confidence and are perhaps over demanding of ourselves sometimes too. I think more needs to be done to break down the stigma of mental health difficulties and understanding and lessening negative emotional impact of disability/difference in those affected.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Dyspraxia- a broader approach is needed?

Post by allesandro »

I think in the US the approach is the opposite. there is no discussion of physical therapy or physical coordination. The diagnosis is ADD (no one has ever heard of dyspraxia) and the emphasis is on time management, planning and organizational skills as well as on depression and anxiety that often accompany the diagnosis