Dyspraxia and N(V)LD

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Dyspraxia and N(V)LD

Post by firemonkey »

For same set of symptoms in UK likely dx= dyspraxia? In Canada/USA likely dx= n(v)ld?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia and N(V)LD

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Firemonkey

Please could you expand on the basis for this hypothesis if possible.

I do wonder whether NLD/NVLD is a separate condition that presents similarly and/or is comorbid?

One of our US-based members Allesandro was of the opinion that ADHD was a more likely common or prevalent diagnosis (dx).

Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) is possibly another overlapping? condition.

Can anyone else offer any thoughts or cite specific research?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

It was just on the basis of what was said on an NLD and neurodivergence facebook group(inc dyspraxia) . That people had found what gets called dyspraxia in the UK often fits with people getting dxed as NLD in Canada/USA.

It is possible that they are comorbid and there are different preferences as to which is seen as the primary/designated diagnosis.

As for ADHD I am not sure. According to https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/adhd-quiz/

Results of Your Adult
Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz

You scored a total of 21

Inattention Subscale: 16
Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 5
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I agree the two conditions(Dyspraxia and ADD/ADHD) are not identical. However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's reckoned that c50%of people with dyspraxia also have some level of ADHD.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Tom fod wrote:I agree the two conditions(Dyspraxia and ADD/ADHD) are not identical. However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's reckoned that c50%of people with dyspraxia also have some level of ADHD.

https://www.apraxia-kids.org/wp-content ... ardson.pdf See ADHD. Apparently the inattentive type is more strongly associated with dyspraxia than the hyperactive- impulsive type.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

firemonkey wrote:
As for ADHD I am not sure. According to https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/adhd-quiz/

Results of Your Adult
Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz

You scored a total of 21

Inattention Subscale: 16
Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 5
I've just done the same test. My scores were as follows:-
ADD total: 39
Inattention Subscale: 24
Hyperactivity/Impulsivity: 15

Thus, I seem to have more ADD than you do. Back in the 90s, when it first became well-known, I was quite sure that I had ADD. However, when I first came across dyspraxia a few years later, I thought that described me more accuratelythan ADD did.

When I was assessed for dyspraxia, the edcational psychologist thought that i was much too focused on the test to have ADD. Neverthess, she was quite sure I had dyspraxia and dyslexia (to a lesser extent).

To be honest, I suspect I have some of all the Autistic Spectrum traits such as Asperger's as well as ADD, Dyslexia and Dyspraxia. But knowledge about these conditions is still in its infancy.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

I have never considered myself as having ADHD but mild ADD does seem to fit. To some extent all of ASD,dysgraphia,dyspraxia and NVLD fits.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

firemonkey wrote:I have never considered myself as having ADHD but mild ADD does seem to fit. To some extent all of ASD,dysgraphia,dyspraxia and NVLD fits.
I'd never heard of NVLD until reading your post. I inderstand that people with NVLD actually have excellent listening skills if this video from the National Center for Learning Disabilities is correct. Good listening ability is something that I certainly do not have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWh3lrscqE
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I scored  35
Inattention Subscale: 18
Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 17

I must admit I'm not a fan of these types of questionnaires as I never find the questions easy to answer (I just can't decide, which I suppose is perhaps half the point). Apparently I have replied in a way similar to people who have symptoms of moderate to severe attention deficit disorder. I'm not entirely surprised but since I cope/do well at work I'm not planning to take it any further. Just need to get a cleaner/partner to help focus me to stay more on top of household chores.

I admit I have very limited knowledge of N(V)LD presents itself. since none of us are Neurotypical, isn't diagnosis a bit of a black art anyway?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator