Sitting down differently?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elizabeth1

Sitting down differently?

Post by Elizabeth1 »

Hi, I have noticed after observing other people either when I'm with a group of people or old photos that I don't sit with straight legs like most people. I'm sure some of you know what I mean, most people sit with their legs straight and touching the floor or still straight even if they are shorter. For years I noticed that everytime i sit like this my feet turn towards each other as they dangle instead of my lower legs being close together they dangle apart from each other. So all together my thighs and lower legs look more like a W shape. When I'm sitting and feet reach the floor from whatever I'm sitting on I feel uncomfortable with my thighs being close together like most people's and I find they automatically sit themselves away from each other if I want them close together I physically have to tense them together. I recently saw on a video of me jumping on a trampoline my feet were not straight jumping they were floppy from the ankles and slightly turned in. As I have said my thighs tend to position themselves away from each other despite there being nothing wrong with my hips or legs themselves. I sit a bit like a picture I saw of a child on one of the dyspraxia websites sitting on a ball. I also find for years my left ankle cramps up after walking.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Sitting down differently?

Post by Tom fod »

lizzie wrote:Hi, I have noticed after observing other people either when I'm with a group of people or old photos that I don't sit with straight legs like most people. I'm sure some of you know what I mean, most people sit with their legs straight and touching the floor or still straight even if they are shorter. For years I noticed that everytime i sit like this my feet turn towards each other as they dangle instead of my lower legs being close together they dangle apart from each other. So all together my thighs and lower legs look more like a W shape. When I'm sitting and feet reach the floor from whatever I'm sitting on I feel uncomfortable with my thighs being close together like most people's and I find they automatically sit themselves away from each other if I want them close together I physically have to tense them together. I recently saw on a video of me jumping on a trampoline my feet were not straight jumping they were floppy from the ankles and slightly turned in. As I have said my thighs tend to position themselves away from each other despite there being nothing wrong with my hips or legs themselves. I sit a bit like a picture I saw of a child on one of the dyspraxia websites sitting on a ball. I also find for years my left ankle cramps up after walking.
Do you think it is necessarily a bad thing,that you're different? We all compare ourselves to others but sometimes it can be a bad thing. You state that you sit like this since it is more comfortable, but still seem a bit ill at ease about it. Is this because people have casually commented or worse,made rude/judgemental remarks in the past?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

Tom fod wrote:
lizzie wrote:Hi, I have noticed after observing other people either when I'm with a group of people or old photos that I don't sit with straight legs like most people. I'm sure some of you know what I mean, most people sit with their legs straight and touching the floor or still straight even if they are shorter. For years I noticed that everytime i sit like this my feet turn towards each other as they dangle instead of my lower legs being close together they dangle apart from each other. So all together my thighs and lower legs look more like a W shape. When I'm sitting and feet reach the floor from whatever I'm sitting on I feel uncomfortable with my thighs being close together like most people's and I find they automatically sit themselves away from each other if I want them close together I physically have to tense them together. I recently saw on a video of me jumping on a trampoline my feet were not straight jumping they were floppy from the ankles and slightly turned in. As I have said my thighs tend to position themselves away from each other despite there being nothing wrong with my hips or legs themselves. I sit a bit like a picture I saw of a child on one of the dyspraxia websites sitting on a ball. I also find for years my left ankle cramps up after walking.
Do you think it is necessarily a bad thing,that you're different? We all compare ourselves to others but sometimes it can be a bad thing. You state that you sit like this since it is more comfortable, but still seem a bit ill at ease about it. Is this because people have casually commented or worse,made rude/judgemental remarks in the past?
No one has really commented on the way I sit, it's not bothering me like that it's more a wondering if anyone else does that sort of thing and wondering if it's the Dypraxia. My friend does the same thing more or less she has Dypraxia but she got diagnosed young even though she's older than me. I've had more remarks over my general appearance more than the way I sit. So this post was more of a have you experienced this with sitting type of thing.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Dyspraxia presents itself differently in different people so even amongst people here it can be very difficult to make an objective comparison as we are all subject to a wide range of variance and other co-occurring conditions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
micheal8
New member - welcome them!

Post by micheal8 »

I heard L sit is easier to hold than a tuck planche. However, I can hold a tuck planche for 13 seconds, but couldn't hold an l sit with my hips back for a second. I have decent pike flexibility, as I can touch the floor with straight legs.
For this I read different fitness points [advertising url Removed. poster banned ], I started the daily exercise:
1. Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you and your back perpendicular to the ground. (ie. L-position)
2. Place your hands on the ground by your knees.
3. Press your body up and move your hips forward as far as possible (keep your arms straight, use your shoulder strength), and then relax back onto the ground.
4. Repeat for distance.
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising is NOT permitted without prior Admin agreement!