Does anyone else break zips and tangle up earphones?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elizabeth1

Does anyone else break zips and tangle up earphones?

Post by Elizabeth1 »

Hello everyone, i lost my account information for my other username so I'm using this. I hope this is OK. I would like to ask has anyone else here had issues with earphones and/or zips? I have just had a memory of when I was young around infant school age, where I couldn't figure out how to do zips. I know a lot of kids struggle around this time but once I learnt to zip my coats up I always broke the zips by zipping them up and then getting the zip caught in the rest of the material near the zip. This jammed the zip. Then I had to lift the coat off my head to get it off. This still happens occasionally now. More recently I have nearly broke a zip on a purse my getting the zip jammed up with either the material or the notes inside. I ended up tearing the note.

As I got older around my teens and since my teens I have a habit of breaking the ear part of the earphones accidently. The main problem I have with wired earphones is I somehow always manage to tangle them up. I can untangle them but soon after there are loads of notes in them making the hard to wear. It's as though they tie themselves in knots.

What I would like to know is does anyone else here do these things?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Does anyone else break zips and tangle up earphones?

Post by Tom fod »

Lizzie1991?

Or are zips not as well made?
I do occasionally have zip issues and managed this back at the close of last year where I had to ask someone at work for help to get my coat off. I'm nearly 43 FFS! I think like me, you're super hard on yourself This fuels anxiety.

I've had to buy my last two new coats because the zip has started coming away from the coat at the bottom of the run.

Head/earphone cables get tangled for me and because it is a faff to untangle them I suspect we disproportionately probably think it is just us? Is it because we have a tendency to shove them in a pocket or bag in too much of a hurry? I tend to favour in-ear but with a headband as otherwise they just won't stay in.

I also seem to wear out shoes at an alarming frequency.

I'll happily reset the password on your old account and send you a PM to this account so you can get back into your old/main account.
Moderator preference is that this account is then deleted.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Elizabeth1

Post by Elizabeth1 »

Hi Tom, yes it's Lizzie1991, if this account gets deleted will this thread disappear or stay up? Also you mention we shove or earphones in our pockets, that's something I've done for a while. Is it typical of dypraxic people to do that? Only recently I've tried to get myself into the habit of actually using a purse often. I usually shove all my money, phone ( I usually just walk around holding that in and outside of the house)

I also find I can't wear long sleeves at the sink as they always get wet, I splash water over myself if I cup my
hands to wash my face. I seem to wear out shoes too and the bottom ends up scruffy with holes in.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Lizzie

I will do it so the posts stay but you'll no longer to be able to post as Elizabeth1. You'll receive a new password for your previous account as a PM to Elizabeth1 and that will enable you to log in and post under your previous username again.

I don't think we can say that it is exclusively a dyspraxic thing. However, I would venture that it is certainly typical of many of us, We're often happily in our own world then the demands of living mean we have to rush to stow headphones away, only to find they're in a tangled mess when we come to retrieve them again. Ditto we have to go out and we're panicking a little so zip our coat up awkwardly jamming the zip in the process. Remembering we have long sleeves and/or to roll them up before we use the sink so as to avoid them getting wet, is again probably quite typical of many. but not necessarily an exclusive thing.

People complain we're too slow and this heightens our anxiety and increases the chance of things going wrong. Thus we're caught in a vicious circle. I think its important that we are able to do things at a pace that is more comfortable/suitable for us, but alas that is often not possible. Accepting that we are different is a difficult thing and I think sometimes we can be just as unfair/impatient with ourselves. We ought not to be.

I'd venture that men's shoes are generally a bit more sturdy, but then they generally don't need to look pretty.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

I've had trouble with coat zips before. Then a year or so ago I bought a couple of zip up cardigans with zips that stubbornly refused to budge no matter how hard I tried . I ended up dumping both of them.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Had exactly the same problem for most of my life. i don't currently use earphones, and I've finally mastered the art of zip, but for the better part of my life I would ruin jackets with zips, and it was cost prohibitive to replace the entire zip.
jelly1000
Getting settled in

Post by jelly1000 »

Yes and yes! Re zips I've broken zips on several bags, had to get shopkeepers help me out when I wanted to buy something and couldn't get my purse out because I'd jammed the zip. Don't wear coats with zips any more so thankfully no issues there, just buttons that fall off which I have to ask my Mum to sew on. With headphones I'm always having to untangle mine before I can put them in, thankfully not broken them though.
Hedgepig
New member - welcome them!

Post by Hedgepig »

You mean both of those things aren’t normal, everyday issue everyone has to deal with? :-s

Because both of those things are basically my life. If you were to do a montage of my day to day living an extortionate amount would be me wrestling with zips and getting tangled up in my headphones
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Maybe we just feel disproportionately affected8-)?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Earphones and stuff getting tangled is absolutely normal. It's just entropy, ie. the tendency of things to go from an ordered state to a disordered state over time, and as there are way more ways wires can be tangled than untangled, entropy inevitably makes them tangled. It may be slightly worse for us, but it affects everybody. You should see the mess of wires next to my computer, although obviously I have dyspraxia too. :P
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

Dan wrote:Earphones and stuff getting tangled is absolutely normal. It's just entropy, ie. the tendency of things to go from an ordered state to a disordered state over time, and as there are way more ways wires can be tangled than untangled, entropy inevitably makes them tangled. It may be slightly worse for us, but it affects everybody. You should see the mess of wires next to my computer, although obviously I have dyspraxia too. :P
When I was younger and even now I have always had piles of wires tangled up all over the place as if by themselves. Sometimes I can untangle them and other times I can't.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

Now again I get my Zip caught in the teeth. I dont have to worry about earphones as I dont listen to music when I out and about I prefer to kick my eyes on the road and look out for people trying to chat me up.