Do any of you have weak ankles?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Regular Poster

Do any of you have weak ankles?

Post by firemonkey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Do any of you have weak ankles? My ankle gave way twice when walking with my stepdaughter and granddaughters this afternoon. It's not the first time that has happened. I don't think my shoes helped. I have wide fitting shoes due to wide feet but think I bought them too wide. Also they are soft backed as hard backed shoes give me blisters

allesandro
Power poster

Re: Do any of you have weak ankles?

Post by allesandro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm

all my life. they cave in and I either fall or almost fall

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

I find my ankle(s) will sometimes 'roll' causing me to stumble. I believe I've read it is quite common with dyspraxia
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 am

My doctor said that to strengthen ankle muscles put a bunch of pennies on the floor next to a large jar. Then, while sitting, pick the pennies up with your toes and put them in the jar. He also said to write all the letters of the alphabet on the floor with your big toe while sitting. You can also stand on bean bags because as the beans shift you will be required to exercise all parts of your ankle muscles.

Pistachio
New member - welcome them!

Post by Pistachio » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Yeah, I fall over quite a lot. Often from tripping over something, but also just falling down for no reason - my ankles give way, or my legs go to jelly, or I start leaning to one side then just keep going! Haha. Sometimes it's like I've just forgotten that I need to still be standing... especially if I've had a drink or two and am trying to stand still for too long.

I've learnt to laugh about it rather than getting embarrassed, and I rate myself out of 10 for comedy value, so I feel like I've achieved something :D
Not looking forward to being older and having fragile hips and things though... I'm gonna have to build a padded house.

My partner is an osteopath and he says I'm hyper-mobile, which I think means "floppy jointed" in my case rather than awesomely gymnastic.

I'm going to try the penny exercise, sounds fun :)

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:08 pm

I definitely had weak ankles as a kid. I was always reprimanded by my parents for walking with my toes in like a pigeon. But really that was dealing with the symptoms rather than the underlying cause.

As well as weak ankles, I have rather floppy joints everywhere. Nevertheless, I like to think that years of exercise have got rid of the worst of these problems.