Not always understanding things straight away?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Not always understanding things straight away?

Post by lizzie1991 »

Hi everyone, OK there are times where I am spoken to and I am listening and do understand everything the person is saying but they might explain things in a way that I might not understand but I do understand if that makes sense. Where I have to rattle my brain at what they were saying even though I know what they were saying and or asking. This sometimes makes me mince my words and not get questions asked/answered correctly as sometimes if it's specific I may not link a memory to answer the question and then later on go through something and then think yes, I do have those symptoms after all, I miss understood first time round or first few times.

This has obviously lead to problems for example a doctor understanding my words, a description to form an accurate diagnosis because I hadn't mentioned things I should of at the time. Later on I may understand what I was supposed to mention.

I will give another example, I read on the dyspraxia website that may have problems, with distance, space and time and weight. I didn't think I had that but since reading that a whole ago in the last few days I can link it back to things. For example able to aim something but not get the right amount or force every time. A bit like a golf game I have being playing on my phone recently. Obviously I can relate this back to physical instances too. Although I filled in the the checklist as a no tick at the time. Regarding time also does it mean thinking more time has gone by than it has or less? Thinking days are dragging on or going quickly? Taking longer or less time to finish tasks such as typing because of feeling fed up or being quick in finishing a task because of speeding through it knowing what to say and or being erratic?

I hope I'm making sense, I'm loosing track and memory of everything I wanted to put in this topic as I am typing this. I don't know what time I started to type this.

I also see the traits of the repeating myself even in text not just verbally. I must mention also that I haven't a Dyslexia although it's been suggested having a test because during working out maths sums everything ends up all over the place, other times I would work it out in the appropriate manor after being told. I only have entry level maths, entry level 3 I could never go any further, far too difficult. I am not dyslexic, I can read and write without any spelling issues. I can paragraph etc and have passed english at D when I was younger. I understand things can change as I'm not at school anymore and usually use spell check typing because I'm on the phone. So English skills are not used in the same way as they would be when you were in English lessons.

I will add more to this when I can remember, has anyone else experienced these regarding their undiagnosed/dyspraxia and or mental health conditions in correlation, such as anxiety?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Not always understanding things straight away?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lizzie

Hope you had a nice Christmas?

This kind of erratic state is part and parcel of dyspraxia and completely 'normal' for neuro diverse folk like ourselves. Sometimes our working memory and organisation of thought take a dip and we'll get confused and flustered and may even enter full on panic. There are crossovers for people with dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia (aka number blindness) and other conditions where there are shared traits. I'm ok with general arithmetic but mathematical concepts such as bases, geometry and powers are (or very much feel) beyond me maths wise.

Don't forget you can also use the edit function to edit and add more to posts later. It is also worth saving or selecting all and copying what you've been writing, in case when you hit submit your login has timed out and you find you have to start again.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

Timed out twice as I've typed this so this is the third time.

I will continue with this later as I spent a while trying to type before it timed out.

My Christmas was alright, how was yours?
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

If you´re writing a long post, compose it in Notepad or another text editor, then you can copy/paste into the forum and avoid any timeout problems.
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

Tom fod wrote:Hi Lizzie

Hope you had a nice Christmas?

This kind of erratic state is part and parcel of dyspraxia and completely 'normal' for neuro diverse folk like ourselves. Sometimes our working memory and organisation of thought take a dip and we'll get confused and flustered and may even enter full on panic. There are crossovers for people with dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia (aka number blindness) and other conditions where there are shared traits. I'm ok with general arithmetic but mathematical concepts such as bases, geometry and powers are (or very much feel) beyond me maths wise.

Don't forget you can also use the edit function to edit and add more to posts later. It is also worth saving or selecting all and copying what you've been writing, in case when you hit submit your login has timed out and you find you have to start again.
I struggle with maths quite a lot myself. Sometimes I can add basic sums in my head by visualisation, other times I'm having to talk to myself counting with my voice and then discount the numbers as I'm saying them.

Even if it's written down depending on how large the sum is and how many decimal points there are I can still get the whole thing wrong. Not only do I get it wrong trying to work it out, I also get the sums all over the place to the point I don't understand what I'm doing myself. I'm also slower to work things out so instead of always getting things wrong I can work fairly basic to most people things out eventually.

I have to count of my fingers still when counting up and up or down the slightest turn off in my mind while doing this or miscount can make me go completely wrong with this method.

I believe there is something not quite right with my maths skills, I managed to pass qualifications lower than GCSE level. Any higher than the highest level I've done (entry level 3) would be far too difficult.

A lot of people say I should be able to work it out without counting fingers now. I also find that if I am slower to work it out I'm still there going "errrrrrrrrr" whereas other people can work it out faster.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Oh God, it depends on the situation. If it has to do with logic (such as computers) and contains many steps, then forget it. I have to have it written down and have to practice it a million times otherwise forget it.