Fluctuating ability to think clearly

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Fluctuating ability to think clearly

Post by firemonkey »

I wonder whether a fluctuating ability to think clearly/organise thoughts,ie better some days than others,is a dyspraxic thing.
MsKahkiV
New member - welcome them!

Re: Fluctuating ability to think clearly

Post by MsKahkiV »

I think i have good days and bad days. I'm not sure if its the dyspraxia that causes the fluctuation or if its just external forces like the environment i'm in or level of stress I'm under, or the topic/task I have to accomplish.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

That's a good point about external forces.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I don't know for me it seems to do with being stressed. If I have a bunch of stuff I'm struggling with and someone comes along and says OK now we're going to add this to the mix, it's like my brain just says "closed for due to power failure" and then I can; remember s--t. and I' struggling by the skin of my teeth to keep track of what people are telling me. It's like I go into crisis survival mode and more energy is expended on trying to appear functional than on being functional
Beloved

Post by Beloved »

That's so true, I've this problem every single day. I read an interesting article that resounds with me. Our brains have so many thoughts floating around, but limited space. An example would be, our tasks requires 10 but that portion of the brain only have space for 8. At the crucial moment when we require a specific thought, it takes a walk and another enters. And we're sweating bullets, wondering where the thought disappeared.
Hedgepig

Post by Hedgepig »

@ alessandro - that sounds extremely familiar to me... especially in the more energy spent appearing functional than being functional part. The worst is when I become aware I’m having trouble keeping up with what someone is telling me and get distracted by my own internal commentary, going from struggling to keep up to having absolutely no clue. I have to say “sorry?” and “what was that again?” so many times I swear people think I must be slow or slightly deaf... :rolleyes: