What do non-dyspraxic people think about the dyspraxic ?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ákveðni
New member - welcome them!

What do non-dyspraxic people think about the dyspraxic ?

Post by ákveðni »

Hi everyone,
I always wondered what do "normal" people think about dyspraxic. If someone told you that he is dyspraxic, what would you think about in first ?That he is stupid ? clumsy ? less intelligent ?.... I'd like to know, and don't be afraid of telling the truth ^^
Have a good day :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: What do non-dyspraxic people think about the dyspraxic ?

Post by Tom fod »

Please define 'normal' 8-). Dyspraxia is a nebulous condition and presents itself in many different ways plus low awareness means people would struggle in pointing out the dyspraxic as we can blend in and generally at least try to conform to /feign 'normality'.

Some people are sadly impatient, intolerant and lack empathy. It's probably best to do what we can to manage our interaction with such oeople as we're often harsher critics to ourselves wothout their even needing to go sticking their oar in.

Anyone inclined to believe we're somehow less intelligent is likely doing so at their own peril. As they say, there is a fine line between genius and insanity!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
NoLimitations
Getting settled in

Post by NoLimitations »

Hi ákveðni,
Not many people know what dyspraxia is. For me dyspraxia is something i am only concious of because i had to work harder than my peers to learn in college and practice skills in work. Once I learned something and mastered the skills it stuck.i didnt find out that i had dyspraxia until i reached 40, before then i achieved a degree and hdip in nursing. However none of my colleagues or friends ever noticed that i struggled and wouldv asked me to help them during exams and interviews. I also got 1st and 2nd on interview pannels.

I think no one in life is perfect , people who i looked up to because they came accross as confident told me they felt anxious all the time. However this was not vissible to me. Dyspraxia is just a condition and it doesnt define us. It helps us understand why we struggle in certain areas and enables us to focus on solutions or new ways to cope. Some times are harder than other times.

There are times that life can throw things on us that is outside our control, but this forum enables us to get support from others at these times and in the end it all passes.

People with dyspraxia are just as intellegent as anyone else. We just learn differently. Most people who have dyspraxia in highly regarded positions dont even know they had dyspraxia.

Regards,

A
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

Hi ákveðni,
I think the answer depends on a number of things. Age for a start. Those under 25 - or perhaps 30 - seem to be more educated about dyspraxia and often nod knowingly when I tell them I'm on the spectrum. If older than this, I'm often met with a blank stare and, as I'm sure you know, it's hard to explain the condition to non-dyspraxics / neurotypical people.
People who don't know me often treat me as if I'm stupid - although apparently I have an IQ of 120. I find this difficult to deal with and it perhaps explains to some extent why I'm a bit of a sociopath and tend to avoid situations where I'm going to meet a lot of people I don't really know. Then again, a lot of my friends seem to have an exaggerated sense of my capability, just because I do a lot of different things. They don't seem to recognise how difficult it is trying to spin all the plates and how tired I get, so their image is rather hard to live up to.
Regards
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

There are very few people in America who have even heard of dyspraxia. Most people think I'm ADD if they know me well enough to see the symptoms that is(such as a work situation). Otherwise, I can blend in quite well because my verbal IQ is quite high; unfortinately, when my working memory doesn't match up the reactions vary from confusion, to disbelief(they think I'm deliberately playing dumb in order to be manipulative and get away with not having to do something) to thinking I'm just plain lazy. For me disclosure is particularly complicated because it would inevitably lead to "What is that?' "I never heard of it"

I don't think the majority of Americans would even know what dyspraxic means. If you made an attempt to explain it, they would probably reduce it to ADD. At the end of the day I think they would probably think it's another one of those bull---t disorders that is just an excuse for people who are stupid, lazy, whiny, and just a general pain in the ass for inconveniencing people who are quick and smart and just a pleasure to work with.
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editing allows addition to post
JessB90
Getting settled in

Post by JessB90 »

My experience with telling people I'm Dyspraxic..

1. Assumptions made that I can't do sports
2. People think I want 'special' treatment
3. People then comment on how well I spell and how neat my handwriting is *aaaarrrggghhh*

Ive even had someone respond by talking extra slowly and loud like I had a hearing impairment.. A little patronising! 8-[

A lot to be done in terms of sharing awareness that's for sure!
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

i often think others think i' stupid because i am a bit awkward, disorganised, not very independent and childish hand writing even though i think i am rather intelligent.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Other people assuming we are somehow less intelligent is frustrating in the extremel especially if one tries to prove otherwise and it all goes wrong.

On a good day can use their stupidity to your own advantage
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Megsandra1997
New member - welcome them!

Post by Megsandra1997 »

For me I have oral and verbal dyspraxia rather than motor.
My boyfriend and his family refuse to admit that dyspraxia isn’t autism, despite how many times I explain!
He even goes as far as telling people I’m autistic rather than dyspraxic if the conversation comes up. It’s very fustrating!