Living with Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ShannonReb1998
New member - welcome them!

Living with Dyspraxia

Post by ShannonReb1998 »

Hi there,
I am new to the forum that my boyfriend found for me.

I am 19 years old and have been finding it really difficult to live with Dyspraxia. I have always had Dyspraxia but growing up, I've found it even more difficult to cope. I have really bad confidence issues and always find negative things about myself. When I was in school, I was always bullied, I got beat up and have been told to kill myself many times because of my Dyspraxia. I have also got ADHD and depression and it's really difficult to find positive things about myself. I have been to psychiatrists and doctors about it, I went to see an occupational therapist about it and I was told to wait a few months for things to come through the post to help me with my hand, eye and joint coordination as well as cards to help me with my pronunciation. I have waited about 3 or more years for the support and have had nothing. This has really made me feel sad because I know that I won't ever get better and feel more confident about myself.

It's been very difficult to live with and I don't know what to do. I've asked my psychiatrist for help, nothing has happened. I have to wait 6 months to see him next. It's mostly for my depression though but he lets me speak about my ADHD and other learning difficulties.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Living with Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Shannon and welcome. We're glad you've found us.

It's a bit of a conundrum since if we don't really value ourselves we're much less inclined to chase people up to try to get the assistance we need/have been promised. the trick is to always be polite pleasant but also blooming persistent (the latter is something we often excel at) and we are worth it! 8-).

Being bullied is sadly much too common an occurrence and it really takes it's toll. They're the problem! Not us, but it really isn't easy to see it that way, if we feel rubbish about ourselves

Your very welcome to read, post questions (however inconsequential or silly you might think they are, if you want/need to ask please just do so!) You're also very welcome to contribute to others' posts/discussions don't worry if they've been dormant for a while. Please consider yourself among friends here 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Dan
Power poster

Re: Living with Dyspraxia

Post by Dan »

I also suffer from ADHD and depression as well as Dyspraxia, and am being assessed for Asperger's in February too.

Unfortunately, there's no easy, succinct advice I can give, but with depression, establishing stuff you can do, even if it's small, to get you more engaged is a positive move one can make. I do find that when I am at my most depressed, I struggle to find any motivation at all, even to do stuff I normally enjoy like computer programming or writing music, but if I force myself to do these things, I can often get hooked still.

I was lucky and never got bullied too much at school as people couldn't get a rise out of me, but I can certainly empathise with feeling like you don't fit in generally and I am really sorry that people told you to kill yourself.

I hope you find that there is some useful advice on the forums here, and it is good to see that your boyfriend is supporting you with this.

Ciao for now. Ask any questions of us you want.