Anyone been traveling

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

cricketman123
Getting settled in

Anyone been traveling

Post by cricketman123 »

Has anyone been traveling on here on their own, would you like to and if so where have you been or where would you like to go. I have dyspraxcia but I hope its not going to stop me from doing my dream
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Anyone been traveling

Post by Tom fod »

Not in a gap year sense of wandering around the world for a year or longer. Did a month in New Zealand with six friends,visiting various points in back in 2001. Have also been on some some small group adventure trips with Trek America in Canada and the USA where I turned up and met 10-12 completely new people and camped in various places.

I'd say go for it
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Poppy91
New member - welcome them!

Post by Poppy91 »

Hello!

I went travelling completely by myself for over 3 months around NZ, Australia and Dubai. I have absolutely zero sense of direction but I was completely fine. I think you know your own self enough to not put yourself in any situations you can't handle, the only time I panicked was when I thought I was going to have to walk back from a bar to my hostel by myself when I had no idea how to get there. I just ended up getting an Uber because I knew that was a weakness of mine and that it would make sense at that point. Other days I would just leave the hostel and wander about, not worry too much about getting lost - wanted to see how I got on just walking about and whether I could make it back to my hostel by myself, I walked around in circles for ages but it felt good nonetheless. It's amazing being by yourself, you can just do your own thing and you will find out a lot about yourself. I would recommend maybe doing some travelling via a bus tour (e.g kiwi experience in NZ) as you can experience a lot more in a short space of time without worrying about navigating from place to place. I also used a travel company to help me plan my trip (eg. STA travel) this is great if you are not very confident in organising travel, dates etc.

Dyspraxia should not stop you and will not stop you from travelling by yourself, just know your strengths and weaknesses and plan appropriately. If you want to chat anymore about it please feel free to message me!

Love x
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Poppy91 wrote:Hello!

I went travelling completely by myself for over 3 months around NZ, Australia and Dubai. I have absolutely zero sense of direction but I was completely fine. I think you know your own self enough to not put yourself in any situations you can't handle, the only time I panicked was when I thought I was going to have to walk back from a bar to my hostel by myself when I had no idea how to get there. I just ended up getting an Uber because I knew that was a weakness of mine and that it would make sense at that point. Other days I would just leave the hostel and wander about, not worry too much about getting lost - wanted to see how I got on just walking about and whether I could make it back to my hostel by myself, I walked around in circles for ages but it felt good nonetheless. It's amazing being by yourself, you can just do your own thing and you will find out a lot about yourself. I would recommend maybe doing some travelling via a bus tour (e.g kiwi experience in NZ) as you can experience a lot more in a short space of time without worrying about navigating from place to place. I also used a travel company to help me plan my trip (eg. STA travel) this is great if you are not very confident in organising travel, dates etc.

Dyspraxia should not stop you and will not stop you from travelling by yourself, just know your strengths and weaknesses and plan appropriately. If you want to chat anymore about it please feel free to message me!

Love x
In fairness, you picked the best place to go if you have a bad sense of direction (NZ), as you can always get home by simply drilling through the Earth. I would like to go to NZ too. I have been to NYC and Dieppe, France, so am pretty limited in my travelling experience.