Asexuality and Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan
Power poster

Asexuality and Dyspraxia

Post by Dan »

Hi all.

I thought I would post this in relationships, but reconsidered, as it feels like a more general thing, rather than being explicitly connected to dating.

I have always felt kind of odd, because I had significantly less interest in sex (read: none) than my friends. I like to kiss, cuddle and have girlfriends, but I am not really into sex itself. This may be TMI, but I do *things* for girls in other ways, it is just actual sex I am not interested by.

I should mention that I am being assessed for Asperger's in February, so it may very well be that the connection is more to do with that, if there is any connection at all, that is. There's a girl with Asperger's on another forum who told me she is also asexual, so I considered the possibility that they are sometimes connected pertinent. ;o

How does everybody else feel?
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Re: Asexuality and Dyspraxia

Post by Jenny3142 »

From what I´ve read online and speaking from my own experience, it seems us Aspies are often asexual, gender fluid and gay/lesbian. I am not interested in sex in any way shape or form, never have been.
It is also difficult for me to show affection. Usually holding hands and kissing is my limit.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I don't think people with Asperger's are any more likely to be gay or lesbian, but I accept that this is a conclusion for which I have no evidence. Still, the other things you posit make sense.

I don't necessarily consider myself 100% asexual either. It's a sort of grey area.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

We're all different and there are likely to be many factors governing how 'sexual' we feel including but not limited to: attitudes of others; oppportunity,; whether/how comfortable with touching/being touched by a certain person/people in general etc.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Dan wrote:Hi all.

I thought I would post this in relationships, but reconsidered, as it feels like a more general thing, rather than being explicitly connected to dating.

I have always felt kind of odd, because I had significantly less interest in sex (read: none) than my friends. I like to kiss, cuddle and have girlfriends, but I am not really into sex itself. This may be TMI, but I do *things* for girls in other ways, it is just actual sex I am not interested by.

I should mention that I am being assessed for Asperger's in February, so it may very well be that the connection is more to do with that, if there is any connection at all, that is. There's a girl with Asperger's on another forum who told me she is also asexual, so I considered the possibility that they are sometimes connected pertinent. ;o

How does everybody else feel?
As a 50 something dyspraxic who has recently broken up in a long-term relationship, I am now somewhat asexual. However, in my case, that is down to ageing rather than dyspraxia.

I was what they call a frustrated chump for most of the time in my younger years. When I did get relationships, I have to confess I enjoyed the carnal side but not the other stuff so much.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Wikipedia describes Asexuality as
Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to others, or low or absent interest in or desire for sexual activity
I have bolded the part that very much applies to me. I have not had sex for 27 years since my late wife had a stroke. I am just not interested.

Whether this is a dyspraxic thing(I'm not dxed but have definite traits) or an ASD thing(again not dxed but have definite traits) I don't know.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

My thoughts on this is if the opportunity is not available to us do we naturally self-suppress our need?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)