Music

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mona79
Getting settled in

Music

Post by Mona79 »

I know I've been through this and I'm looping but today I was certified as dyspraxic and yet I was a semi-professional 'cellist (of all things)! I believe the assessment but how can I have played the piano and 'cello at music college and never had a problem with that? The only things that was repeated was "you are very very musical but you have no technique" but it wasn't a case of rhythm, or being out of time, sync...missing cues....it was more a case of not being able to hold my arms in the right way or move in the right way. But I got by in SO many concerts. And I was good (enough)!
I am just BAFFLED. I google musicians and dyspraxia and nothing comes up and people keep asking "how can you be? You are a musician"?!!!!!!!
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Re: Music

Post by Desert Rose »

I once tried learning to play the violin, I was utterly useless, I just really had no idea what I was doing.

What I have heard is that if it is something you enjoy and/or find interesting you tend to find coping mechanisms more naturally, or something along those lines at least.

Having said that I am very impressed that you manage to get by.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

There are plenty of us who despite being Dyspraxic on paper do things that are theoretically not possible. There really are not a fixed set of symptons or level of impairment any one of us will experience. If it helps you might prefer to see it as having Dyspraxic Tendencies.

Whilst we may appear clumsy uncoordinated and disorganised, appearances can be deceptive and many of us are gifted in other ways.

You're not the first musician who has joined this forum. Use the forum search to search for related terns such as musician and/or instrument and you'll find some interesting posts.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Mona79
Getting settled in

Post by Mona79 »

Thank you. I just find it bizarre but I seem to be dyspraxic in few areas in fact...although I excel in those dyspraxic domains(!) Driving is terrifying for the question of attention. I once stopped at traffic lights stuck as I couldn't remember whether green meant stop or go...I don't have THAT many traits perhaps because I just coped with dyspraxia not knowing I had it... I followed everyone else I suppose.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

We're also great at defying all logic 8-) We're all encouraged to conform to what society considers the norm and despite that being a challenge at times we're usually quite adept at persistence and stubbornness too. Both can be useful qualities if used correctly in the right arena.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

Tom fod wrote:We're also great at defying all logic 8-) We're all encouraged to conform to what society considers the norm and despite that being a challenge at times we're usually quite adept at persistence and stubbornness too. Both can be useful qualities if used correctly in the right arena.
This is exactly what I've been thinking except you explain it much better than I would have!! =D>
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I played piano to an above grade 8 level once, and still compose stuff today, so it is certainly possible. My technique is also not great, but I do what works and can play The Minute Waltz and such (on YouTube). :)