Disability Benefit

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Disability Benefit

Post by ALADDIN »

Does anyone get disability benefit ?

I think people with severe dyspraxia managed to get Disability Living Allowance. I know people , who used to get Disability Living Allowance who had severe dyspraxia, but had their benefit taken away, as a result of Government cuts.

I am independent, I am disabled but my dyspraxia is not severe, I am clumsy, forgetful, disorganised.

In order to get Personal Independent Payments, one has to be assessed by a Doctor, will he/she understand dyspraxia, I was diagnosed by a psychologist.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Disability Benefit

Post by Tom fod »

I'm fortunate to not fall into this group but I know I'd certainly share the same fears if I was. I don't know a lot about how work assessments are carried out or what the criteria are and how the results are interpreted, or who by? (I understand that in many cases the assessments are carried out by private sector firms including Capita.

I've always understood that the first response will likel be no, but that a good number of appeals are successful. Personally I think the system is at the very least unintentionally biased against people who are often already at a very low ebb and may not know how or be inclined to challenge an incorrect decision.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)