Annoyed by dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mona79
Getting settled in

Annoyed by dyspraxia

Post by Mona79 »

Is it normal when you have a diagnosis to over analyze yourself and feel REALLY annoyed you ever had the idea to get tested?
That's how I feel. Annoyed. I notice more than ever how CRAP my short term memory is and how when I hold cereal bowls I hook my little fingers underneath. It's genius really ;-) if I've been doing it for 38 years(!) but I don't find it cool at all suddenly. I don't want dyspraxia and I'm not sure why as if I have it I've clearly I've always had it. I sort of wish now I didn't know though. Is that normal? Denial and doubting?!
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Re: Annoyed by dyspraxia

Post by Desert Rose »

Now days I actually understand how it affects my life, alot more things I do make sense to me, which is helpful because it helps me accept myself more. But there definitely is a tendency to spend too much time analysing my actions instead of focusing on the present moment and getting on with life, which is easier said than done, believe you me, I know this from experience. It can make my life very frustrating, and can cause me to get very irritated with myself and to criticise myself for being sloppy etc. I wouldn't say it's abnormal to go through phases of hating it. I see it more as a gift now days though, it comes with strengths that the average person doesn't have that can be utilized to their full potential, to go a long way. I know it's not always easy to see it this way, but I hope this advice helps.
Mona79
Getting settled in

Post by Mona79 »

Thank you. It does. I accept WHOLLY my son's Aspergers. Always have. Never wanted to change a thing. It's a gift. But this just feels like the final nail in the coffin as I've had diagnosis all my life and this one was MY idea!!!
Tell me some strengths please....
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

Mona79 wrote:Thank you. It does. I accept WHOLLY my son's Aspergers. Always have. Never wanted to change a thing. It's a gift. But this just feels like the final nail in the coffin as I've had diagnosis all my life and this one was MY idea!!!
Tell me some strengths please....
Well there's long term memory for starters, there's having a very good visual memory too, I've read also that dyspraxic people are meant to be quite original thinkers (tending to think outside the box, be creative etc.), being good with systematic/repetitive jobs due to them becoming committed to long term memory, good with being an independent person. These are certainly all strengths I've noticed in myself, I can't really speak for anyone else but this is based on my personal experience and what I have read.
Mona79
Getting settled in

Post by Mona79 »

I just read a very positive post on Dyspraxia so I'm feeling a bit better. I've had so many labels in life...OCD, Cyclothymia, and Dyspraxia so I just suddenly felt overwhelmed. Normal I guess.
I have such a good long term memory that I scare people and it's embarrassing. You relieve me on that one as I don't forget a birthday or a name or things from LONG GONE. I DO remember things through images. I tried a NASA test once for fun as my husband was taking one. I had to remember numbers which flashed past in quick succession. I got all 20 of them. He didn't. I thought that was weird. I just made them into things, neighbour's door numbers, people's ages..and made a picture...the neighbour welcoming the friend... I guess that makes sense now. Thank you for your help.