Feeling dumb

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Feeling dumb

Post by Desert Rose »

I can't always tell if it's plain and simple paranoia or if it actually means something, but I get the feeling that people around me see me as a really dumb person, and sometimes I get the feeling I can be a bit useless. This causes me frustration, because I find that most of the time people don't see past my exterior image of being a bumbling fool that doesn't know what they're doing, and actually end up seeing what I'm capable of practically, creatively and intellectually. Is this a common thing?
Mona79
Getting settled in

Re: Feeling dumb

Post by Mona79 »

It is with me! I've always felt intelligent (and I know I am as I did well at school) and appeared (in my eyes) to be stupid.
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

Mona79 wrote:It is with me! I've always felt intelligent (and I know I am as I did well at school) and appeared (in my eyes) to be stupid.
Likewise, although I do worry occasionally that the way some people may see me could hold me back from achieving my potential, by the opportunity not being given to me etc.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

But we do have the tempting option of allowing them to become lulled into a false sense of security until we disabuse them of the notion and make them look/feel dumb 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

Tom fod wrote:But we do have the tempting option of allowing them to become lulled into a false sense of security until we disabuse them of the notion and make them look/feel dumb 8-)
That is very true! We only need it to be the right time and place, then they can see our true colour.

The thing is whether I could muster enough confidence at the time to overcome my anxiety towards expressing myself.