comorbidity

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mona79
Getting settled in

comorbidity

Post by Mona79 »

I'm a bit confused. I had OCD as a child. It ruined my life. I then got diagnosed as having cyclothymia and was told that OCD was a coping mechanism for that. I went to see an OT as I felt odd not being able to do things in the gym that everyone else could and got told I was dsypraxic. Why can one person have so many diagnosis?! My son has Aspergers and sometimes I think my other son has ADHD. People say I'm looking for labels but that's not true as I'm not planning on any therapies to fix them and my eldest says he doesn't want to know whether or not he is dyspraxic (he is but I'm following his lead and not pushing it as he has ASD as he pointed out). I don't want to change ANYbody in this family. I wish the world would adapt to differences. I am only trying to understand. I guess I just want somebody to explain why so many diagnosis can happen in one family...I go through phases of revolt for my part, wanting to deny them all! I have very mild dyspraxia I think. I just suffer from sequencing and concentration issues (no board games, card games and long instructions). I also can't cope with much noise if I'm trying to talk. I am a phobic driver etc. I can't follow gym steps and Ican't visualize journeys even if I know them and they are around the corner.

Thank you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: comorbidity

Post by Tom fod »

Comorbidity is such a lovely word Not

I would venture that there is likely quite a high incidence of OCD among Dyspraxic s. We all need our coping strategies! There's a British comedienne who has a show entitled Control Enthusiast. She maintains it sounds more positive than Control Freak :D

Dyspraxia is considered by some to be on a spectrum too.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Mona79
Getting settled in

Post by Mona79 »

Thank you.
I came on this forum as I was sure that I'd written something but couldn't remember what and if I indeed had.
AWFUL short term memory, incredible long term.
Did you mean to write comedienne the French way?! Or is it like that in English too?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Mona79 wrote:Thank you.
I came on this forum as I was sure that I'd written something but couldn't remember what and if I indeed had.
AWFUL short term memory, incredible long term.
Did you mean to write comedienne the French way?! Or is it like that in English too?
British English can be quite strange. We borrow from the French and use their word to denote a female comedian
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Mona79
Getting settled in

Post by Mona79 »

I don't think I knew that. I speak fluent French and live in France. It's for that. Sometimes I even forget which words are French and which are English especially ones which are similar. Those are the worst!!
LizzyD
New member - welcome them!

Post by LizzyD »

Mona, I am new to this site even the term dyspraxia. My father, myself, my son and now I believe my granddaughter all have dyspraxia. I detest labels as well. The labels of dunce, incorrigible, etc. caused his mother to remove him from school after failing to pass the 4th grade 2 times. Well this stupid clumsy man went on to become a semi-professional boxer, as well as a self made millionaire at the time of his death. I too like you had all the labels. The problem was that it completely destroyed any self confidence or esteem. Fortunately my parents would not accept continuing my education. I became a nurse 40 yrs. ago. I have not only been successful but I am regarded among my peers as, "among the best". My son never spent one day in regular education, he was dxed as ADHD, socially and emotionally maladjusted, having cerebral palsy (b/o his clumsiness), and of course ASD. We were advised he probably would never live on his own. Today he is a member of the Army's most elite group, he holds the second to the highest enlisted ranking, he has countless medals for bravery including a bronze medal. As far as being clumsy, he not only is certified to parachute from planes, but also from high altitude specialized planes. He was not satisfied to just be certified so he became a "jump master" in both meaning he does all the before and after check on his men to assure their safety, and believe me those men are safe in his hands. I now see my granddaughter struggling at age 9. The school is just pushing her through. Very common here, no labels therefore they are not responsible for any special treatment which is a federal law here. I have begged my daughter to make an appointment with a psychologist known for his assessments of LDs etc. I have told her we will pay for the complete assessment. She herself is a licensed therapist who works with children and she is highly resistant and continues to be about merely making an appointment for her daughter! I don't care if she doesn't want to deal with what her brother had again, or it's too painful, or I may be overstepping my boundaries because after all she is in the business. When my granddaughter fell down an entire flight of cellar steps (uncarpeted), the banister had been removed by her father, at about the age of about 3, her response was, "well maybe she'll learn to hold on"! He is now an ex-husband. Please don't give up, which is so tempting when feeling so frustrating.