dyspraxia and sensitivity to light when sleeping

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanAu96
Getting settled in

dyspraxia and sensitivity to light when sleeping

Post by DanAu96 »

I'm not sure if this is a dyspraxia thing or not but I have not come across anyone else who has this problem. When i am trying to go to sleep I am very sensitive to bight light sources light sources such as light coming from around the curtain from street lights outside or light coming under the door or even the LED from a charging phone. I am far less sensitive once I am asleep. It also takes me like an hour to get to sleep most nights.

does anyone else have similar problems?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: dyspraxia and sensitivity to light when sleeping

Post by Tom fod »

It is certainly not outside the realms of possibility for a 'Dyspraxic thing' as many of us do seem to have hyper-sensitivity to certain things. However, I wouldn't say it is necessarily unique to us. There has been previous mention of this by other members (put 'sleep light' into the Forum's search box and you'll get some results to filter through).

Anything that distracts, in this case light sources, is likely you to inhibit your ability to relax sufficiently and enter a sleep state. There is also evidence that the blue wavelength of light emitted by LEDs in electronic devices, phones, tablets TVs etc can interfere with our ability to be able to fall asleep because our bodies think the sun is rising and we should be waking up and starting the day.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
YellowSunshine
Getting settled in

Re: dyspraxia and sensitivity to light when sleeping

Post by YellowSunshine »

I suffer with this too. It has to be complete darkness and no sound for me to properly fall asleep. I struggle even if someone is watching tv in the living room with both the living room door shut and my bedroom shut because i can hear the TV but the TV is definitely not that loud and probably wouldnt bother anyone else. I also struggle if im trying to sleep in the mornings and people are walking past and talking. Every noise seems ehanced to me.
This is completely random but I was in a restaurant the other day and I could hear the squeaking of the guys next to me knife and fork, clinking of the plate. It honestly made my skin itch and i got so agitated and nobody else seemed bothered about it.