sleep problems associated with dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

mina
Getting settled in

sleep problems associated with dyspraxia

Post by mina »

Does anyone have any info on this subject I remember reading about it ages ago but i can't find any useful info on the net
Is anyone else affected by it or do you know what causes it?
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

i don't have any info on it. maybe someone else does. it always takes me aaaages to get to sleep tho. When i was little, my parents say i was a right pain cos i never slept. :D
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

the only info that i can find in my "living with dyspraxia" book (by mary colley) is that difficulty sleeping is related to the anxiety problems that dyspraxics often suffer with. it doesn't have any specific info.

like lucy it always takes me ages to get to sleep because i can't shut my brain up! sometimes it is anxiety related, like if i've had a bad day i start to analyse it and get upset and worry, but sometimes it's not and i'm just thinking about random things.
Riddles
Getting settled in

Post by Riddles »

If I remember right theres information in the book 'Dyspraxia: The Hidden Handicap' by Amanda Kirby, if I remember right its down to the fact, she says that a dyspraxic doesnt know how to turn their brain off or something daft like that. But I have major sleep issues myself, peculiar eh?
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I have no information.... but very intrested if anyone has any more... I have had problems with sleep walking since a very young age and never grew out of it.... with some serious consequeces..... like climbing out a second floor window among other things.... Also have problems with getting to sleep in the first place...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I vacillate between being completely soporific and random bouts of insomnia.
robyn

Post by robyn »

joe im exactly the same, its torture
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Interesting. I've never considered it might be related to dyspraxia, mind. :-s
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

Me too. I can't stop worrying constantly, so often I can't sleep because of it. Although all the tea I drink doesn't help.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I used to have real probs getting to sleep. I was so bad that if my partner fell asleep before me, I couldn't sleep cause all I could hear was his breathing as he slept.
I now wear earplugs to bed and it has made a huge difference. I also use a lot of lavender stuff, I have lavender sleep balm, pillow spray, stuff like that. Sometimes I drink chamomile tea if I'm stressed or headachy cause that helps too. Even eating a bowl of cereal before bed can help cause something in milk helps you to relax.
I sleep loads better than I used to now and it's made a big difference to me. I still can't lie in on a weekend as long as I'd like to but I think thats my adhd! As long as I dont get up till at least 9am, I'm happy \:D/
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

square peg
Getting settled in

Post by square peg »

Wow it's really interesting that problems 'turning off the brain' are associated with dyspraxia. I never used to quite believe that people could turn off their thoughts on demand. I have got much better at it recently. Every time I start thinking something that isn't a product of falling asleep, I think 'shut up!' over it. It seems to work. :)

I also experience sleep paralysis with hallucinations at least every few months. Anyone else get this?
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

square peg wrote:Wow it's really interesting that problems 'turning off the brain' are associated with dyspraxia. I never used to quite believe that people could turn off their thoughts on demand. I have got much better at it recently. Every time I start thinking something that isn't a product of falling asleep, I think 'shut up!' over it. It seems to work. :)

I also experience sleep paralysis with hallucinations at least every few months. Anyone else get this?
i don't get that, but i find it fascinating...do you find them scary?

i had a typical brain-won't-shut-up night last night, i think it took me at least 2 hours to get to sleep!

i also have really vivid dreams, to the extent that i believe them when i wake up or i recall them as a real memory at some point.

does anyone have problems with their spatial awareness in bed? quite recently i woke up ever so slightly, and decided that i wanted to be on the other side of my bed, closest to the wall, so i threw myself across...only to find that i was already on that side and that i'd just thrown myself very hard into the wall, face first! i actually thought that i'd broken my nose, it hurt so much! i've done it quite a few times before but that was the worst.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

nope I don't have too many problems going to sleep, it is just the waking up part I really don't like, as it takes hours for me to wake up enough to do something.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself too much rah, as walls don't have feelings or a mouth to say sorry!!

usually though, I have found that I dream about something, and then that thing comes true, maybe not tomorrow, but in a few years time! like people, places I have never been, not knowing how I get there, and usually end up waking 1/2 way through due to the dream being so good I need the toilet, or a drink! ahhhh!!!

and then can never get the same dream back no matter how hard you try! only ones you do get back are nightmares! of waking up alone!! think that is a major problem with being single, it happens everyday!!!!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I have great difficulty with waking up too, Shadwell, especially if I'm woken up by alarm from a dream or deep sleep. It's as if my brain is in turbulence and it doesn't happily respond to any demands on it. Sometimes it can take me 30 or 60 minutes to get up and then a while longer to come around properly.
square peg
Getting settled in

Post by square peg »

rah wrote:
square peg wrote:Wow it's really interesting that problems 'turning off the brain' are associated with dyspraxia. I never used to quite believe that people could turn off their thoughts on demand. I have got much better at it recently. Every time I start thinking something that isn't a product of falling asleep, I think 'shut up!' over it. It seems to work. :)

i don't get that, but i find it fascinating...do you find them scary?
Probably scarier than I've ever found anything or am likely to in the future, yes. :Eek: Well, the first few times. Since I've known what it is I've gradually accepted that I'm not in real danger and can keep calmer. The first few times, I thought if the demon or whatever is watching and making me levitate doesn't kill me, I'm probably going to die of a heart attack before the night's over. 8-[

There are a couple of interesting videos about it on Youtube. Some people have made amateur horror films about it. Someone on Myspace has even uploaded a video of themselves having an episode. Personally I don't look for it much any more incase it inspires my imagination of more ways to torture me, but it's good that it's being talked about now so it doesn't have to frighten people as much. :)