sleep problems associated with dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

GWhizz
Regular Poster

Post by GWhizz »

I was talking to a dyspraxic friend today and she said that her mind was like a train station and all the connections I suffer with it when i have things on my mind it rushes round
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
mina
Getting settled in

Post by mina »

I'm better at shutting my brain off now then i was when i was younger but it does keep me awake particularly the last couple of months

i get sleep paralysis too. its horrible. i can only sleep with the light on now
which doesn't give me much quality of sleep
KxWaal
Getting settled in

Post by KxWaal »

Sleep paralysis is awful. I get it about bi-monthly. I always have the most frightening hypnagognic hallucinations.... usually "shadow" people just standing there, watching me
~KxWaal
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I dont know if its because of my epilepsy or dyspraxia but I can never get to sleep. I can be awake solidly for 3/4 days sleep for a few hours then do it all again.......... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
strabright
New member - welcome them!

Re: sleep problems associated with dyspraxia

Post by strabright »

Wow rah.....ditto. Two weeks ago I did the exact same thing - thinking I was not at the edge of the bed. :rolleyes: I landed full force on the floor - hitting beside and wall....very lucky I did not smash my head or face....ended up with a humdinger of bruises on my left arm and left leg - looked like a session of domestic abuse to the outside world :lol:

The more I tried to explain what happened to women in my pilates class, the more I felt they were looking at me with pity and disbelief.....more like 'the hubby must have done that to her and she thinks we don't know that' :blush: :-$
Starbright
djgard27
Getting settled in

Post by djgard27 »

I have had bouts of insomnia aswell i find if i spend a day sitting about not doing much i can have problems sleeping that night also if i have a lot of thoughts running around in my i have noticed if i drink more water and keep hydrated it seems to help to sleep and i have improved a lot in the last 2 or 3 years
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I wake up in middle of night thinking it's the morning when it's not and my brain just doesn't turn off. Am I crazy or is this related?
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
krackerz1590
Getting settled in

Post by krackerz1590 »

i have troulbe getting off to sleep 'switching off' and stop obsessive thoughts going round and round doubting my abilities and judgements for that day get paranoid over what i've said and done throughout it so annoying i think having AS dyspraxia and MH probs together (anxiety and depression) does not help this situation added in mix complicates matters even more makes things worse i get head and neck tension only thinks helps is lavender smell as calming i can't relax naturally! i think about things too much especially at night as have that time to think things through about past and present does my head in! grrr. i tried kalms natural remedy! my support worker said bout a small dose of sleeping tablet i always struggled with this which in turn affects my mood depression! and anxiety even further it confusing as you don't know where you stand with what and how to!
Gina
Getting settled in

Post by Gina »

I do word searches or crosswords in those cheap magazines that I call trash-prize-fictions I dont get much done but the sheer concentration on the subject matter helps to "switch off" the near constant monologue in my head.
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

my body clock is naturally an owl i have tried everything to get into a sensible rythmn otherwise people would assume i want to be tired the next morning but it's just my body clock but if i go to bed at ten for example i will be physically/mentally awake even though i have had a tiring day and it would literally take me ages to sleep and when i do it's like i have only slept five hours as my brain wakes up because of lights and thinking to far ahead. i.e worrying about a sodding meeting that's in the afternoon.
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I'm a total insomniac, I have had trouble with insomnia for years now. It's like I have a nocturnal body clock. Normally I don't get to sleep until at least 3 or 4 in the morning. I watch TV though as I find watching something I like get my mind away from any bad worries I'm thinking about which will keep me up worrying plus, it's better to do something than to just lie there, rolling around waiting to go to sleep.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I think worrying about stuff is pretty natural part of life if it's serious stuff. But stuff like have i left the photcopier or my computer on at work doesn't worry me in the slightlest. (As soon as i get home I don't have a damn about work)
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

NobodyElseWill wrote:I think worrying about stuff is pretty natural part of life if it's serious stuff. But stuff like have i left the photcopier or my computer on at work doesn't worry me in the slightlest. (As soon as i get home I don't have a damn about work)
Oh no, I only worry about serious stuff such as work and the future etc. I think my mind would implode if I worried about trivial things as well.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Osymandus
Power poster

Re:

Post by Osymandus »

GWhizz wrote:I was talking to a dyspraxic friend today and she said that her mind was like a train station and all the connections I suffer with it when i have things on my mind it rushes round
Thats the analogy my asserser gave me . The train takes such a wide route the reason we forget what we are doing is the train losses some carriages before it gets to the right stop ;).

My brain just suts off it gets to a point where it just says "oh sod it" then i worry about things teh next day if i remember ;)
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I hate that feeling and it always happens when I am in bed and I am just drifting off to sleep or i'm finding it hard to sleep.