sleep problems associated with dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Calitxu
Getting settled in

Re: sleep problems associated with dyspraxia

Post by Calitxu »

I have a great deal of trouble getting to sleep - always have.

I definitely find it difficult to stop thinking about stuff. If I'm worried about something, it's worse, but even if I'm not worried about anything, I find something to think about!

I always figured my trouble stemmed from an incredible oversensitivity to noise, and that certainly does seem to be a dyspraxic thing. I always needed it to be pitch black to get to sleep, but the noise thing seems to have developed over the last few years. I started wearing ear plugs about 5 years ago when I moved in with people after a period of living alone - I couldn't get to sleep if I could hear a voice downstairs or in the next room - even if they were speaking quietly (quietly to them - it was really loud in my mind!).

It's got insane now, though. I can't sleep for hearing my partner "breathe". I feel really unreasonable and selfish most of the time. It must be a nightmare for him, though!

I think if there was one thing I could change about my dyspraxia, it's that. It makes me so frustrated not being able to sleep :(
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

sensitive senses are a Dyspraxic thing . Its a know sympton , the Thalimas part of teh brain that gets and process sensory info , is underdeveloped so can let in too much or to little input .

I would suggest meditation training to make yourself aware of your sense (a bit like Daredevil if you have seen the film (or realistically what blind people do or compensate for loss of sight etc)).

You have to get your body to relax , then teach it to filter input , its not easy i know ive learnt meditation over about 16 years so takes time . I have just started to take Piracteam as well , which helps massivly.

Good luck
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

Like I find it really hard to concentrate on something and listen to music at the same time but other days I am fine.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

I feel like when I'm working (I work as a primary school teacher) I sleep pretty well. However when I am on school holidays I begin to have problems. I think it's to do with the fact that I am not quite as mentally exhausted and so my brain can't "switch off". I sometimes even start thinking of ideas for stories which is quite a nice thing but really not what I want when trying to sleep. I never knew people could just turn off their brain! Interesting!