Had physiotherapy yesterday, was so embrassed

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

YellowSunshine
Getting settled in

Had physiotherapy yesterday, was so embrassed

Post by YellowSunshine »

I had physiotherapy yesterday and I was so anxious which probably didn't make it easier.
My physio kept asking me to do things but the words just sounded like noise, (he was English speaking). I got myself so anxious and stressed that I started to panic. I didn't do anything he asked because I didn't understand, he asked me three times every single time he wanted me to do something.
I also felt really self conscious like I was on a stage.
I've been having problems with my lower back and legs and I have been popping over the counter painkillers like they are sweets so i decided to self refer to physio.
I feel so embrassed because I didn't explain to the physio that i have dyspraxia.
I just kept repeating myself that I didn't understand what he was saying.
He was very patient with me and never raised his voice or got short with me.
He said he wants to see me in two weeks. I know I have to go to sort my back pain out but I feel so embrassed.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Had physiotherapy yesterday, was so embrassed

Post by Tom fod »

It's entirely understandable that you feel embarrassed but his job is to help you and from what you say he was really patient. It might be worth thinking about telling him that you also have Dyspraxia/are anxious and likely to have difficulty in understanding and following verbal instructions. You could perhaps ask that he take things step by step and/or perhaps provides information in printed form beforehand too.

I hope your next session is easier
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)