Dyspraxia/ADHD Medication & Concentration

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nige1969
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia/ADHD Medication & Concentration

Post by Nige1969 »

Hi last week after 3 assessments with an Occupational Therapist I was diagnosed as having Dyspraxia at the age of 48 & like many Dyspraxics I have real problems with concentration, lack of focus & being easily distracted.

I am also currently being assessed for possible ADHD/ADD but the Psychiatrist is doubtful, though he cannot rule it out so has put me on a medication trial & I am taking Concerta XL. I’m only a few days into the meds but have seen no improvement so far.
I was wondering if there is anyone one here with Dyspraxia & also ADHD or ADD who is on medication & if it helps their concentration etc.
Mayonaka
Getting settled in

Re: Dyspraxia/ADHD Medication & Concentration

Post by Mayonaka »

I am ADHD with possible dyspraxia (it's basically certain) and I have tried all the pills for adhd possible (currently also on concerta, but haven't taken it in awhile) and all of the make me very sick. It gives me anxiety and an extreme increased heart rate. Though it does help with concentration and maybe you won't be like me who gets every symptom in the book haha, People who don't have ADHD or some type of concentration issue and take the pill would definitely not feel great after taking it as they already have the chemicals in their brain to focus. (that's not the case for me I'm just very unlucky) So I think either you don't notice the difference because it's not strong enough, or not the right pill for you. Or because maybe you might actually not have ADHD its just not giving you the right support you actually need. I don't really know im not a doctor and 16 so take my advice with caution :lol:
Maddie_24
New member - welcome them!

Post by Maddie_24 »

I was on concerta when i was young, like 7 years old. I’m now 24 and ive been on quite a few different adhd medications. Focalin, ritalin, and vyvanse have all worked extremely well for me. It may be that concerta simply does not work for you or that the doseage is low. since you are just starting out, i’m sure they prescibed you a lower dose to see how it works for you, and then they plan to go from there and make doseage changes as seen fit. They’ll likely want you to stay on your current doseage for two weeks before making an adjustment.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I've been on virtually all of the ADD medications because in America if you have dyspraxia you're far more likely to be diagnosed with ADD than dyspraxia. Anyway, they help a little just as they would help anyone to do things more quickly. But not a lot unfortunately. There does seem to be a great disparity among generics, particularly adderall and ritalin.