Left behind by technology

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

R1ch8rD
Getting settled in

Left behind by technology

Post by R1ch8rD »

Hi.

Apologies if this subject has already been covered.

One of my real problem area's in life since becoming an adult is technology.
I'm 35 and have seen a massive shift in technology since leaving school in 1998. I used to be brilliant with the analog stuff. But now with smart phones and computers i just can't keep up with having to learn to use a new interface every couple of years when it all has to get updated.
I find it doesn't really matter how user friendly something is supposed to be. I just dont think my brain is wired to think in the way this stuffs designed. So I have to affectively relearn it from scratch.

It really wouldn't matter if something was "user friendly" or not, I would still have to learn it by memory and would probably take the same amount of time to learn

Does anyone else have a similar experience to this?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Left behind by technology

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I can't recall this being covered before so thank your for raising the topic

I'm not much of a fan of change unless it is for the better/well thought out and IT upgrades can just as often seem like downgrades and some tech can be annoyingly illogical to me resulting in much swearing and gnashing of teeth. I also find it frustrating when tech fails to behave the way it should. I like to know as much as possible but increasingly I try to settle for knowing enough to get things to do what I want them to.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Dan
Power poster

Re: Left behind by technology

Post by Dan »

I think it is quite natural. They say that those over 30 struggle with new things on this scale, primarily technology. Neuroplasticity is the brain's ability to rewire itself, something that decreases with age. Still, Dyspraxia may play a role too. I love tech and am always fussing to learn new stuff, but it is so easy to be out of that world a few years, coming back and being completely disarmed by its complexity!