CRISPR and dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobbybop
New member - welcome them!

CRISPR and dyspraxia

Post by bobbybop »

So I've learnt of this thing called CRISPR which can edit genes and is a hot topic in the science world. This got me thinking, could CRISPR "cure" dyspraxia? I think one day I would like to have kids but I have been worrying about the possible effects of passing dyspraxia down. If CRISPR could take out the gene responsible I think I would use it.

If anyone has better scientific knowledge than me then could CRISPR do it? Also for anyone else would you use CRISPR if it could get rid of dyspraxia?
cpr02
Regular Poster

Re: CRISPR and dyspraxia

Post by cpr02 »

I didn't think dyspraxia had a genetic link but I may be wrong ? is there a risk of passing the condition on ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: CRISPR and dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

I think there maybe a genetic element but not sure that is necessarily the only factor in determining if someone will be born with the condition or to what degree they will be affected.

I'm in two minds but I'm going to be realistic in saying I'm not sure that efforts to prevent dyspraxia would meet priority thresholds for research/action.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)